ZDDPLUS

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

KYBRIGGS82

ZDDPLUS

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

I read with much interest about ZDDPLUS as an additive for our Thunderbird engines. I am going to change the oil in my engine and use Lucas oil additive to prevent wear but I'm not sure if this product is the best for my 63'. How many people use ZDDPLUS and is it essential for the tappits to run smoothly?
Where can you buy ZDDPLUS locally? Napa, AutoZone or ?
Thanks
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
smorgasbird

Post by smorgasbird »

I don't use it as an additive, it's already in the oil I use. You may be able to find it at an engine rebuilding shop- haven't seen it at NAPA or any of the chain stores around here.
Mike S
Grand Rapids, Mi
'61 red HT
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I use it in my 57 Y-Block since rebuilding it. Also have a bottle on the shelf for the 63 whose engine was delivered this morning!! :cool: It's available mail order (CASCO may have it) but I haven't found it at NAPA or A.....Zone. Also CompCams additive for new cam installation is "supposed" to be equally good avail at NAPA. Luckily for me a local street rod builder keeps it in stock for flat head V-8's. He has shown me cams that have failed and they aren't a pretty sight and it is MANDATORY for him. He also uses it in all his small engines too. I think it costs about $12/bottle.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
60fore

Post by 60fore »

I've been using ZDDPlus since I bought my T-Bird three years ago. I buy mine at Mac's Auto Parts ($9.95 per bottle there) and you can also buy it on ZDDP's website. I just add one bottle every oil change along with my Quaker State conventional oil. I also add a small amount of Lucas oil conditioner.

You've probably read the thread about 61bird's catastrophic camshaft failure; this is cheap insurance against that sort of thing happening to your engine.

http://zddppluscentral.com/home
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
akbash

Post by akbash »

You can get it on ebay also
62 Roadster red/black,documented.
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

One more question.
If an engine was rebuilt with hardened valve seat covers would a zinc additive be necessary?
car guy

Post by car guy »

One more question.
If an engine was rebuilt with hardened valve seat covers would a zinc additive be necessary?
My understanding is that the hardened valve seats are for unleaded fuel. Zinc is for flat tappet cams.
Timothy

It's for my twin boys. Sure, they're only 4 right now, but it's all for them! And the girls, they'll want to drive too - they won't turn 3 for a while yet, but when they do, I'll have a pit crew!

Go Penguins!
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

So, even though my engine was rebuilt to allow for unleaded gas, I still need an additive such as ZDDPLUS to help with the internal tappits correct?
What type of damage would occur if a zinc additive was not used and is ZDDPLUS the best product for my 63'?
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

So, even though my engine was rebuilt to allow for unleaded gas, I still need an additive such as ZDDPLUS to help with the internal tappits correct?
What type of damage would occur if a zinc additive was not used and is ZDDPLUS the best product for my 63'?
KY,

I may be toeing the abyss as far as my engines longetivity but I don't use any additives and my engine runs fine. Granted, I could be driving a ticking timebomb but I've never had the issue that My '61 has had with these old blocks and I've run plenty of them.

John
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

The ZDDPLUS ( and other Zinc additives) is mainly for the camshaft/lifters. Has nothing(?) to do with the valve seats. The valve (almost totally the exhaust valve) regression issue comes up due to "lead" being removed from gasoline. It is not really an issue unless you do a LOT of heavy (as towing) high mileage driving. Re the rebuild of the C3AE-C heads on my '63 HT, the rebuilder recommended NOT installing hardned seats. His rationale was that the older head material was HARDER than the new seats!! This from a guy that rebuilds hundreds of sets of heads a year.

texastomeh
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Some zink additive is probably a good idea, ZDDPLUS or GM EOS will do the job. ZDDP was/is used as an anti-wear additive for the camshaft. Zink was found to be polluting catalytic converters so it's been reduced from some modern muti-grade oils. There are oils that have hi levels of ZDDP, but might be too heavy for your liking. If you have a favorite brand of oil try looking them up online, you can email or call them and they will answer your questions. The hard seats were probably unnecessary for your car, but OK to do. Some series of FE heads have a tendency to have seats get loose, I don't know which off hand. A man's brand of motor oil is 'kinda like his religion, just not a good subject to argue over IYKWIM. Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

What is the best motor oil for my vehicle if I use ZDDPLUS and use Lucas oil additive?
10w-30 or 10w-40?
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

What is the best motor oil for my vehicle if I use ZDDPLUS and use Lucas oil additive?
10w-30 or 10w-40?
Most of the guys over on the Ford FE Forum recommend 10w-30 for all the FE engines.

texastomeh
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
segi1962tbird

Post by segi1962tbird »

the guy who rebuilt my engine told me to use 10w-30 and the zddp
T-Bird-Art

Post by T-Bird-Art »

What is wrong with using 100% synthetic 10-30 on rebuilt and old original engines ?

I like synthetic because it doesn't deterioriate under hot Fllorida temperatures and plug up oil passageways.