New rim and tire question for my 66'

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gonzmexican

New rim and tire question for my 66'

Post by gonzmexican »

Alright guys..the engine in the process of being rebuilt..everything is put back together after painting..all the chrome is back on..I am getting excited about droppin the redone 390 back in. Anyway here is my question..we had origionally wanted to do 20" BOSS 338s all the way around. However this would be difficult in terms of fitting (I believe?). I am sure this could be done however I would rather just go with 18's for this summer and maybe upgrade next year.

The questions is..if we wanted to run 18" BOSS 338's staggered..what should the rim dimensions and tire dimensions be for the front and rear..we are also planning on lowering the car. If I had to take a stab at this..I would think I could run 18x8's in the front..18x9.5's in the back..

In terms of tires...I would like a wider tire in the back..maybe a 265/40/18 and a 245/40/18 in the front?

If anyone has any idea as the the dimensions I would need it would be greatly appreciated..I liked how easy it was to pick out 22's for my 03 explorer..but this whole classic car rim shopping is a big headache
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

I'd send a PM to "Dirty Birdy"; he's running 20s rear, 18s front.
This is his car: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org/p ... php?t=4119

The other problem after figuring out the right offset is finding a wheel that will clear those humungous K-H front calipers.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

yea i know..we have settled on a rim now..we are going with the MB Motoring Old School's..getting everything through the local tire shop so hopefully they wont mind doing some dimensioning for me before I buy..and yea those kh brakes have me a little worried..i hear all of the horror stories with aftermarket wheels and those beasts
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Unfortunately, all the stories are true. I've tried four different sets so far, and none have cleared them. I really didn't want to have to use spacers, but I think without them, the choices are going to be VERY limited.
What you need is a wheel in which the face plate or spokes bow out from the centre plate (where the lugs are), kind of like an exaggerated Mini-Lite, if you catch my meaning.
If you haven't looked carefully at your stock wheels, check this out - see how dramatically the face plate curves away from the centre plate:
~ Daniel
VTCI #11333
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

yes i know exactly what you are talking about. my 22" boss 304's on my 03 explorer have that same bow out..thanks for that pic too..i have looked at that and you are right it does droop in dramatically to clear the caliper..I think we may have to run spacers..the Old School rims I am looking at do a little..but not as much as say my BOSS 304's..but I am going to be buying everytihng from Discount Tire up the street from my house..so hopefully, since I am buying over a grand in rims and tires from them, they will be more than happy to help me fit the rims to my bird..
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Well, best of luck - I'll be waiting to see how it turns out so I'll have an option, too!
~ Daniel
VTCI #11333
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

Do they have an instalation department at Discount Tire by your house? They should be able to take measurements prior to you even ordering them, that's part of customer service. If your really close see if one of the staff would be willing to come down and take measurements at your place, beer is a good method of payment for most. LOL Make sure to always test fit prior to mounting tires. Once the tire is mounted, that rim is yours!

Edit: I am only going by some experience and just want to give you a heads up, MB Motoring wheels use a very thin chroming process and they have been known for the chrome to flake off. ANY note of this, take them back and get a new set, dont wait until it gets bad, any signs, take them back. Discount Tire is pretty good with warranty. Brake dust is really bad for wheels, keeping them clean (the back too) the dust will pit the chrome and thats when the flaking starts, this will definatley help in keeping them looking pretty.
I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder!
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

ill have to call them um and see..im sure they would size them up..I am lowering it quite a bit as well, so I imagine I will have that done first..doing it through eaton springs out here in detroit..after that i will head to discount tire and have them size um up..

as far as the chrome on the MB wheels..I am so anal about keeping my car clean..basically everytime this car will be drivin (crusier, so wont be a daily driver) it will be cleaned..especially the rims after hearing that..but yea i hear they have good warrenties so I will have to make sure at the first sight of pitting, get um switched out. Maybe in a year or two ill save up for a more expensive rim, but for now i think they will do the job :)

thanks for all the insight guys and I will post picts soon..havin my gallbladder removed tomorrow so ill just be layin around all weekend so maybe ill get out and snap some picts
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

Definately lower the car before your test fit. Lowering changes suspension angles and will also actually change your steering geometry, thats why you usually require an allignment after lowering a car. Plus you want to have a good idea of how much room you have at the top of the inner fender well after lowering it. This will factor into what profile tire you can run with.

Ps Mini Lites are a perfect example of the correct shape spoke you need.
I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder!