1966 Custom Wheels

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gonzmexican

1966 Custom Wheels

Post by gonzmexican »

Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I have a 66' T-bird Landau and I am in the process of restoring. I am looking to put 20" rims on in the spring. I was just wondering what dimensions to look for in the tires and rims. I was looking at a 61' with 255/35/18's in the rear and 225/45/17 in the front. I have also heard however that the 66' has problems with caliper rubbing. I would like to go with a 20" rim all the way around (20x10 rear and 20x8.5 ?). Any suggestions?

I am also going to lower the car an inch or so, any ideas on where to purchase lowering coil and leaf springs. I have heard mixed reviews about cutting and bending on your own.

Thanks!
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

In your PM you had stated that you would like to run Foose Nitros wheels. Be careful with those, I have a good feeling they will not fit. The spokes will hit the caliper because of the way they are shaped. (I have run into this with that model of wheel on a customer's car)
If you want to run 20" on all four corners, dont go anything wider than an 8" in front (even then it may be too big)

Wheel Vintiques has a really good help section for wheel fitment. I know they also have measurments of what fits on what on hand, if you talk nice you may be able to squeeze them for info! LOL

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/?cat=5

These guys have an amazing selection of wheels (this is where I purchased mine)

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/
I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder!
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

Thanks for the insight! So you were able to fit 20's on the back I noticed. What was the dimension of the rim and tires for the rear? And I saw that you had said you shaved down the ridge on the calipers, would this make the Nitrous rims fit?
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

Another thought, if I did run with the foose nitrous, and after shaving down the calipers, still ran into problems, could I just replace the calipers and rotors with something newer and smaller? The brakes are going to need some work anyway. I have not looked into the cost of this however yet. I assume new calipers and rotors cost some money?
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

Even with shaving down the caliper like I did, I still dont believe they will fit. My wheels where custom made from Boyd Coddington using measurements I took. I just cut it a bit too close with the backspacing. We wanted to put the foose nitros wheels on a 2006 Mustang we had done up. While they would clear the stock front calipers, they didnt clear the willwood brakes we put on the car. The back of the spokes are too straight in the back of the nitros wheels, If you notice my wheels spokes have a good curve to them that help clear the caliper. The calipers on our cars are huge. They have more than enough stopping power. The only reason (IMO) to swap them for say Baer, Brembo, Willwood, would be for looks. I dont think they will stop your car any better. Converting to rear disk is another story. First figure out what brakes you want to run and then do your measurements. If you dont feel comfortable doing this, take your car to a wheel shop and have them measure for you.
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

thanks a lot for the help..sucks that its such a pain in the #*@..hopefully the hard work will pay off
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

I see what you mean with the spokes of the rims coming outward. I have 22" rims as my summer tires for my 03 explorer and they do the same thing. I was looking at some different rims and came across these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-6 ... /?rtype=10

American Racing Torq-Thrust M...they have that protruding spoke. These could be a possibility. I may run up to a belle tire or another rim/tire shop to get some dimensions.

One last question regarding your tires. What are your tire dimensions in front and rear?
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

My tires are Nitto 555s 255/40/18 and 285/30/20 rear. I found the nitto 285 sidewall on the 10" rim tappers just a tiny bit so it gives a bit more room.

If you use the search section I believe a couple guys run those american racing wheels on their cars.
gonzmexican

Post by gonzmexican »

thanks a lot!