61-63 data plate information

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Terri McNeill
Site Admin

61-63 data plate information

Post by Terri McNeill »

You can find the data plate information here: http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/T-Bir ... evised.pdf it is a 530K (large) file
Last edited by Terri McNeill on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
Ken Stevens

Data Plate Information: Paint Codes

Post by Ken Stevens »

Why is the code information for paint colors so different from those shown in my shop manual?
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

Hi Ken,
hmmm...I don't have an answer to your question! I don't have the shop manual and I recieved this information from a different source.........let me do some checking and I will make the changes necessary. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will double check my sources.
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

Hi Ken,
the data has been uploaded again, it is a PDF file and it should be correct.
Chewievette

Post by Chewievette »

Could you tell me where on the car I can find these codes? I have a '62 convertable that in less than great condition and I cant find the codes. I was hoping you could help me out.
Thanks.
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

This is a photo of a 64 dataplate but they are all basically the same as they are usually found on the drivers side door jam Image
Alan H. Tast

'62 data plate location

Post by Alan H. Tast »

'58-'62 data plates are located on the front driver's door jamb, between the door hinges. The plates moved to the latch face of the driver's door in '63 after the first day of production, and continued to be in this location through '69. Beginning in '70, a label was used on the body below the door latch post/stud.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
KYBRIGGS82

1963 ROADSTER

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

On the data information for the 1963 Roadster you did not list dark blue as a color for the convertible top combined with Silver Mink however my Roadster was ordered this way from the factory. Would this color combination therefore be rare?
Thanks
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
surfmurf

data plate

Post by surfmurf »

Why does this antique message stay on the top of the list while the rest of us continue to drop down as our messages age - especially considering it takes, POSSIBLY, about 5 minutes to locate a T-Bird data plate? :oops: :?:
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Your question sounds grumpier than I suspect it was intended I'm sure. ;-)

It's pretty standard on most bulletin boards/forums that "Stickies" always stay at the top. A 'sticky' has a different icon next to it, so most peeps know to skip it if its old, and only go to the new posts, typically an 'envelope' highlighted in a color (vs and old envelope, that is ususally dull, grey, or without color).

Stickies are usually posted by an administrator or moderator who judges that it is an important tip or a frequently sought bit of info... it is intended to be helpful rather than annoying. :mrgreen:

It takes less than 5 seconds to ignore it if you find it to be distracting.
:lol:

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Well done, Brian!
Informative, quite diplomatic, and I couldn't have said it better myself. ;-)
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
surfmurf

Post by surfmurf »

Boy that was an unpleasant surprise "Brian". I asked 2 questions, combined in 1 sentence. It was ended with a question mark, not a period or exclamation mark. Thus it could not be "GRUMPY". Whereas your response sentence was informative, answering what I asked, the base of your message is arrogant.
I have NEVER seen a web site with this symbol and between my personal inquiries and our international business, we see hundreds. If it is administrative, why doesn't the web site so designate, so the those of us unfamiliar with this PARTICULAR site's jargon and/or procedures are informed vice being subjected to your erroneous assumptions and pompous demeanor? There is NO glossary on this web site (that I have found) that explains such or I'd not have asked.
As for your "supporter" - diplomatic? Not even close. It didn't need diplomacy, just an answer. And if that is diplomacy, please do not ever work in a field requiring such.
Instead, please try mastering America's version of English vice arrogance so you can differentiate between a statement and a question.
Your response was informative, but TRULY UNPLEASANT.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

The glossary you look for is at the bottom of each section, this being the 1961-1963 Thunderbirds section. The use of 'stickies' is very common in message boards, I was surprised so see someone ask about it. My first reaction to your post was about the same as Brian's I guess. The word 'antique' probably did it for me. So do you have a 1961-1963 Thunderbird? Welcome to the forum, this is a great place for learning or helping others if that's your intention ::? Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Smurf, I do apologize for not having recognized the above was your 4th post on this forum, and thus not have afforded you greater understanding as someone who may be new to these parts... it can be confusing I suppose.

I regret that you found my perhaps modestly snarky reply as arrogant, surprisingly unpleasant, erroneous, pompous, undiplomatic, and apparently lacking in any grasp of American's version of English vice (dont reckon I really know what that latter thing means, but it sounds bad).

I gather we're not gonna be good-buddies, but if I can help you with any of your Thunderbird questions that have apparently aged unanswered due to the predominant and unorthodox use of the "stickey", I would be glad to give it a whirl.

Cheers... "Brian"
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

surfmurf,
It looks like we all got off on the wrong foot here. ;-)
Let me start this by saying that the reason I got involved with this website is the unbelievable level of civility, respect, and helpfulness of the members here - especially in comparison to other automotive-type sites.
That said, the folks here are a fun bunch whose level of intelligence and sense of humour is on display on a pretty regular basis. While this may occasionally catch some off-guard, I can just about guarantee you that nothing malicious is ever intended. These cars can be a frustrating handful at times, and this is one innocently-intended way of blowing off steam, along with being just plain old camaraderie amongst fellow "Birders". I can honestly say I've never seen anyone here intentionally offend another member. My follow-up to Brian's response was also meant in this same vein...and I will also honestly add that I, too, interpreted your post as, well, "grumpy" myself, for lack of a better term - especially by a "newbie" member - so no doubt the playful sarcasm ran somewhat rampant between the two of us.
I must say I'm a bit surprised that someone who states they utilize hundreds of websites on a regular basis has never seen a "sticky" before, as I've been a member of several dozen myself over the years, and couldn't think one that doesn't - but that's neither here nor there. Hopefully this feature makes sense now as a quick reference for info that might be needed by different members in an easy-to-access format, eliminating the need for a "search".
Allow me to offer the suggestion, however, that particularly as a newcomer here, a simple explanation of your intentions in the initial post would have been sufficient without the added insults of long-term members' writing/grammar/whatever skills...
Murf, bottom line is that this is an amazing place. Whether it be as a reference center for info or for great, helpful folks when it comes to these awesome cars, or just as a place to "hang out" and make some great friends of fellow T-Birders. I hope this little misunderstanding won't sour your impression of this site. Allow me to offer up a sincere "welcome aboard" here and now - give it another shot, and I'm sure you'll agree with all my above statements.
Now let's all put this to rest and "play nice"! :cool:
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333