1979 Convertible

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Randy Mattson

1979 Convertible

Post by Randy Mattson »

Parked outside my office at the moment is a 1979 Thunderbird Convertible. (Navy blue, white vinyl(leather?) The conversion looks very professional, very factory-like. Was there a company that offered this? I don't know of Ford ever making one. I like it!
Randy Mattson
Alan H. Tast

'79 Convertible Conversion

Post by Alan H. Tast »

A company from the Los Angeles area offered convertible conversions through Ford dealers in the mid-late '70s for Mark V's and T-birds. The name of the company escapes me but I may have reference to these in "Thunderbird 50 Years". Long story short is for '77-8 the rear seat was omitted while in '79 it was narrowed and installed in order to clear the top mechanism. I don't recall total number produced but it suffices to say that they are not common.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I would have guessed American Sunroof did the work, but after reading some of their history I don't think so. Would be nice to find out who did the conversion.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Randy Mattson

1979 Convertible

Post by Randy Mattson »

It's too bad my cell phone doesn't take pictures. I would have taken a few. I think you got it Alan, the rear seat was narrowed. I guessed to allow for the roof rails when the top's down. It also had a snap-on boot.
Randy Mattson
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

It was probably done by American Custom Coachworks in California...they are no longer a manufacturer and seem to only build limos now. Here's a '77 for sale out there that was done by them (although it's not in very good shape):

http://www.tbirdads.com/details.php?id=17820
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley
Randy Mattson

79 Convertible

Post by Randy Mattson »

Thanks for the link, Jeff.
The 79 I saw was very similar. I only saw it with the top down, though.
I liked the job someone had done on the windshield header.

As an aside, I should have started this in the modified section. I would have been the first!
Randy Mattson
Alan H. Tast

Convertible Fabricator

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I think Jeff nailed it, but I still need to double-check the research I did on this for my second book. I remember copying some articles from some trade publications and do have some photos of examples I've documented over the years. They had an emblem on the front fender to ID the company, but for some reason "Beverly Hills Coachworks" also rings a bell. Probably won't be until extended family clears out of my house this weekend before I can dig up the info (something about being unsocialable when I hole up to answer questions like this instead of mingling with in-laws ::? )
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbird

Post by tbird »

I remmber there being one of these conversions at the 2001 Retrobird Launch Party at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn. It was parked on the Rotunda in one of the places reserved for invited Thunderbirds.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

I've seen a 79 in the New England region several times at shows. I'll have to take a closer look at it if I see it this year. It has mint green paint, and a medium green interior.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
79convertible

Beverly Hills Custom Coachworks

Post by 79convertible »

I am the proud owner of a 1979 Thunderbird Convertible. I've done some research and back in the late 70's, the government put a ban on the production of convertibles stating they were unsafe. Beverly Hills Custom Coachworks bought 151 of the 1979 model from Ford and converted them and selling them for $21,000.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Welcome to the group how about posting some pictures of your car, if you scroll on down to the bottom of the forum you will find a how to section for doing things for computer dummies like me it will guide you through posting pictures.
What is your location?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars