Broken tach needle

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

curts 57

Broken tach needle

Post by curts 57 »

I just got a 57. The tach needle is broken but I can't find a replacement. Is this something that can be done?
55blacktie

Re: Broken tach needle

Post by 55blacktie »

Eckler's part # EK-66-27860-1 ($12.99). Although advertised for 55/56, Eckler's site confirms that it also fits 57. Larry's has the same needle (Part # B17361A for $12.78).
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Is the needle actually broken or just fell off the shaft. Is the shaft broken or still intact? if it just fell off you don't need to remove the tach, the surround and glass a just friction fit and can be popped off to get to the face.
VTCI # 13223
Paul T. Amick

Post by Paul T. Amick »

Hi, The 57 Tach is different than the 55-56. It uses a pointer not a needle. First you have to remove the Tach from the dash. Then you will be able to determine the problem. You may have gotten lucky and the pointer just fell off', but that's too simple. I have a 57 and have a couple Tachs but really I don't really want to let them go. I would guess Bob's speedometer may be your best shot. I think $350. plus your Tack may get you started. Look at the up side, you can run the engine without the Tach. I would disconnect the cable at the distributor and remove the drive gear from the cable then hook it back up. To remove there are 3 screws holding the gauge in along with the cable. Good luck
curts 57

Post by curts 57 »

Thanks all. The pointer short end is still on. Tach works. I can guess the rpm if I imagin following the short end extended across the pointer pivot point.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

If your car is equipped with a Fordomatic that works as designed, the tach isn't necessary, but I like everything with which my car was equipped to work well.
curts 57

Post by curts 57 »

I still don't get why the pointer can't be replaced.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

It can. Just refer back to 55blacktie's post right after your first post. You can take a plastic spatula and slip it under the trim ring and it will pop out with the glass lense. It's just friction fit. I did that to mine to paint the needle with nail polish.
Give a slight pull on the leftover pointer and see if it will slide off. You may have to use a drop of penetrating oil on the shaft while trying to hold the shaft. If you dare. It will have to be sent out anyway if you can't get it off or break it in the process.
I wanted to pull my speedometer pointer to paint it but was frozen and broke the shaft. Had to pull the speedo and have it rebuilt.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

curts 57 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:14 am I just got a 57. The tach needle is broken but I can't find a replacement. Is this something that can be done?

Do you know how it was broken? Yes they are fragile but not so that they come apart under their own weight. I’m thinking it may have been cracked on installation but stayed together for awhile meaning the pointer hub may be bad and just barely hanging on the spindle. I’ve seen the entire pointer fall off. It may come off rather easily.
curts 57

Post by curts 57 »

Thanks for all info. No, I don't know how it was broken. I will try to take it off. I can't find any source for a 57 but maybe the 55,56 needle will work. Anyway I've had the car for a week and loving it. Glad to have found this forum.
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

I had a motorcycle which broke both the speedo and tach needles (before I bought it). You know how when the cable/bearing gets dry it can make the needle go crazy and bounce around. Well, if things get bad enough in the bouncing around department the needle bounces off the stop pins and breaks. I'm talking breaking off at the hub, not simply falling off the shaft.