Door lock locks, but outside pushbutton opens/unlocks it

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

swatson999

Door lock locks, but outside pushbutton opens/unlocks it

Post by swatson999 »

On my 56, this has been this way since I bought it a couple of years ago, but never bothered me enough to dig into. Out of curiousity, though...

The driver's side door lock will work...the button moves down to the locked position, all the way (checked the height, etc., per the usual recommendations). But pushing in the thumb button on the door handle will move it OUT of the locked position and the door can then be opened. Passenger side works as it should.

This doesn't bother other than from an aesthetic point of view, since I never lock the car anyway (if a thief wants it, they'll get it, and if someone wants something in it, I'd rather they get it than tear up the car getting into it...and I don't keep anything of any value in the car, for that reason).

Any ideas?
55Greg&Amy

Re: Door lock locks, but outside pushbutton opens/unlocks it

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

That almost always because the lock button is too tight. Try loosening the lock button a full turn at a time and retry the outside push button until it no longer unlocks itself
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

swatson999 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:23 pm (if a thief wants it, they'll get it, and if someone wants something in it, I'd rather they get it than tear up the car getting into it...and I don't keep anything of any value in the car, for that reason)
Really. The glass is worth more than the wireless speaker and Walmart sunglasses I have inside.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

55Greg&Amy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:39 am That almost always because the lock button is too tight. Try loosening the lock button a full turn at a time and retry the outside push button until it no longer unlocks itself

I'll second that. It isn't letting the lock to fully seat. When locked, the button should be at least 1/16" above the door trim.
VTCI # 13223
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

swatson999 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:23 pm
...the button moves down to the locked position, all the way (checked the height, etc., per the usual recommendations)
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I third this. Did the same in my 56.
55Greg&Amy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:39 am That almost always because the lock button is too tight. Try loosening the lock button a full turn at a time and retry the outside push button until it no longer unlocks itself
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

Let me clarify, yet again. I KNOW about the knob having to be unscrewed to allow clearance. I've checked that (this problem exists with the knob unscrewed almost entirely, in fact).

That's not the problem.