It looks like the dash is coming out......

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ward 57

Re: It looks like the dash is coming out......

Post by ward 57 »

Put in a battery cut-off switch. Just a twist of the knob disconnects the battery to prevent any drain. It works great if you are working with the door open keeping the light off.
I'd hook the clock up just to see if it does anything. I took mine apart and could get it to work but there are several layers of gears and the bushings between the layers were degraded and couldn't keep the parts & gears aligned. I finally just had it converted to a quartz movement.
From my experience jewelry stores won't touch them and home clock smiths won't touch them either. Clockworks did mine.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

When I rewired my 56, I used the Electrical Installation manual. Looking at the plastic card would drive me crazy. The manual shows how all the wires are run as well giving color codes,etc..
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I have been very satisfied with the information in the Electrical manual for our ‘57. Some wiring diagrams are only show circuits and devices. That is all that the laminated one shows to me.

The TBird manual shows location and relative position of the many devices and connectors. I used it to locate all of the instrument panel bulbs when I replaced them. It helped me trace the full circuit to determine why the back-up lights were not working even though the switch on the transmission was operating correctly.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

289ace wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:58 pm
swatson999 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:36 am I have this one

https://classiccarwiring.com/products/1 ... yyEALw_wcB

Thanks! I hadn't thought about checking with them.
Lots of places have these...just do a search on the intertubes.
289ace

Post by 289ace »

Thanks all, I appreciate the info.

Re: the schematic vs the manuals. We each have our own way of thinking and so different approaches work for different people. This is the 3rd car I will have rewired and I have found using the large schematic works best for me when laying in the main harness as it allows easy positioning of all the pigtails. After that is done, I move to the detailed level drawings for the final connections.

Rusty-
Thanks for the ideas on getting the cable loosened up. I checked the top of the cable this morning and its a crimped cap so I think disassembly is out so it will be few days of flushing and then lube it. Thanks also for the tach info. I cleaned the cable today and will do the tach tomm.

The clock looks to be completely dead so its off to clockworks next week.
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

paul2748 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:28 pm When I rewired my 56, I used the Electrical Installation manual. Looking at the plastic card would drive me crazy. The manual shows how all the wires are run as well giving color codes,etc..
Both are useful for different things, of course. I'd highly recommend getting *both*...actually, getting ALL the manuals and diagrams one can. Shop Manual, Parts List and Diagram books, electrical installation manual, transmission manuals, carburetor manuals, Trim and Sealant manual, distributor manual, radio repair manual...the works. Small investment in the long run.