wire spoke wheel fix/truing

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

assim111

wire spoke wheel fix/truing

Post by assim111 »

i have a problem with one of my wire spoke wheel some spokes are loose and need to be adjusted
i did try to look for a place to fix it, couldn't find one, even motorcycle shops cant do the job over here
i live in Toronto and still struggling to find a place to fix it
does anyone know a place near Toronto or can help me with this little issue
i have a 15x5 in rim
jtschug

Re: wire spoke wheel fix/truing

Post by jtschug »

If you've bombed out with the motorcycle shops, and you really want to find a local place and not mail the wheel away to somewhere in the US, then I think you need to expand your network to include other car types in you specific area.

Small British sports cars from the 1950s and 1960s used a lot of wire wheels, so find a Toronto car club with Triumphs, MGs, Jags, ect. and see where they get their wheels serviced. Also a lot of pre-war cars have them so look for "classic" car clubs. The other cars with wires were the Buicks and Cadillacs of the 1950s and early 1960s. If you can find active clubs with those cars, based in Toronto, someone might have a lead on a shop that does this work in your area.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
assim111

Post by assim111 »

that sounds like a good idea , i have found an MG club and contacted them hopefully they have a lead for me
thank you very much for your help i appreciate it
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I'm surprised Raven hasn't chimed in yet, as he's in suburban Toronto. We did have a chapter in Ontario - Southern Ontario Vintage Thunderbird Club, but the link to chapters from the Regional Director's Officer listing isn't working right now, and it's currently not listed in the Club's magazine, "Thunderbird Scoop."
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Uk-Tbird

Post by Uk-Tbird »

Looking to add alloys to my bird.. any info on the type I need? Such as the spacing ext, I can’t seem to find a thing!
assim111

Post by assim111 »

just a quick update on my situation
i did contact a couple of British car clubs in the area and even found a friendly helpful MG club
none of them seem to have a lead on this kind of work in this area
i might as well buy the tools and set up and do it myself, and maybe put myself in business
one of the people from MG club told me that their go-to person passed away a couple of years ago..
so hard luck for me