Power Steering Lines

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RegM 56 T-Bird

Power Steering Lines

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I recently bought a set of power steering lines for my 56 T-Bird. Now that I have them in hand and have removed one line I discovered that each of the lines on my car have a 7/16 flare fitting going into a 9/16 fitting which takes a flare on one side but has a flat end on the side that goes into the ram. My new hoses have 9/16 flare fittings, only one fitting. Can anyone tell me if I need any kind of adaptor or can I just screw in these puppies as they are?
Rusty57

Re: Power Steering Lines

Post by Rusty57 »

Sorry that no one has responded yet. I have no direct experience with a '56 so can only offer some general guidance.

The power steering system on these cars changed significantly over the 3 year run.

The changes were not necessarily timed with the model year change. For example, in 1957 there are both an "early" and "late" production system.

If you follow this forum regularly you will periodically see posts about which parts were actually used on a given vehicle during model year changeover. For example, near the end of the 1955 model year if there was no production inventory on a certain 1955 part, manufacturing would sometimes install the 1956 part if it would fit and function correctly. Or there could be the opposite scenario. Production would "exhaust" the prior year inventory on the new model year rather than scrap the parts.

You are working with the steering system. I agree that you do not want to create any issues. You did not state where you bought the hoses. I would contact them or one of the TBird supply houses to get answers.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

This is very true. I have a very early '57 and has leftover '56 P/S gear and vacuum lines. '56s didn't sell as expected and assembly had lots of leftover parts.
VTCI # 13223
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

You can't just screw the 9/16" flair into the Ramas there is no seat for it. Just get a new brass fitting that has a 9/16" female flair on one end and match the ram end to your old 7/16" fitting.
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I am happy to report that I spoke too soon. The one fitting that has a 7/16 flair going into a brass fitting turned out to be the only hose set up that way, and one of the set of new ones is identical. Its just a case of me speaking too soon. I do have to say it was a real chore to change the leaky one which was the pressure line from the pump to the controller. It has a block midway one the hose which locks that hose in place with the return hose so I had to remove both in order to get the leaky one off and they were a real b---h to get back on and get the two bolts back into the block, would have been much easier if I waited until the engine is out for seal replacement but the leak was too bad to drive the car. I'll wait till we take the engine out to replace the other two hoses since it was only $95 I bought all 4 hoses.