Fuel Gauge Issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

62roadster

Fuel Gauge Issue

Post by 62roadster »

Gauge very slow to register when ignition/accessory switch turned on, most times, not at all, just stays just above E. After filling with 10 gal. of fuel, the gauge goes just about to the full mark which tends to have believe there was already a 1/2 tank but didn't register as such. Gauge checks as good according to the manual using 3V battery, I installed new sender but still acts the same.

I suspect a ground problem, so my question is, does the sender get it's main ground from the gas tank which has a grounding strap to the frame or is there another grounding point somewhere?,,,
Rusty57

Re: Fuel Gauge Issue

Post by Rusty57 »

Good troubleshooting techniques!

In a perfect world the sender is grounded through the mounting to the tank. The tank is then grounded to the chassis either through the tank mounting or a separate wire as you indicated.

Have you watched the gauge needle response when you ground the wire that connects to the sender? Then watch what happens and the response rate when you remove the ground.

There could also be an issue with the float on the arm in the sending unit. It is developed a leak it will not respond to changing fuel levels.
Rusty
VTCI 13079