It looks like the dash is coming out......

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

289ace

It looks like the dash is coming out......

Post by 289ace »

A couple of weeks ago I ask about installing a new dash pad while leaving the dash in the car. After crawling around under the dash I've decided there is enough things that need to be done that I should remove the dash and take care of a multitude of things.

Since I am removing the dash, this brings up some more questions for the brain trust-
The underhood wiring is very brittle, but under the dash the wire is still pliable. Has anyone used the under hood "repair" loom? I'm not sure how it interfaces to the existing under dash part of the wiring. I am leaning towards a whole new underhood/dash harness, but thought I should educate myself on the repair loom. Some of the manuals show a junction block under the dash which might be a possible connection point, but so far I can't find one. Maybe it isn't on a '57?

The gauges could all use some freshening, especially the needles, but so far I haven't found any paint from the usual vendors. Does anyone have a source for the orange paint?

My clock is currently non-op. I was going to send it out to Clockworks for a quartz conversion but I've read where there seems to be a problem with the recent batches converted so I am considering other options. I did read the recent thread here, but what other options are out there?

While I have the cables disconnected I'm thinking about replacing the vacuum control heater valve with the Mechanical heater control valve offered by Casco. Does anyone have any long term experience with the mechanical retro fitted valves?

What else should I be considering doing while I have the dash out?

TIA for any help/insight.
Joe Johnston

Re: It looks like the dash is coming out......

Post by Joe Johnston »

Do you have the Electrical Manual and the Trim and Sealer Manual? Lots of drawings and info to help you.

While the dash is out, paint the underside white. It makes things a lot easier to see when you have to crawl under the dash again.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I've done considerable under/behind the dash of my 55 without removing it. However, having removed the steering column, seat, and soft top provided more space. Lighting was less than ideal. Thinking that the factory red primer on the inside/back of the dash was surface rust, I painted it black (my car is Raven Black). I wish I had left it alone. Painting it white might help with visibility (others have done it), and probably no one but you will see it or know it isn't the correct color, but I wouldn't do it.
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

55blacktie wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 pm I've done considerable under/behind the dash of my 55 without removing it. However, having removed the steering column, seat, and soft top provided more space. Lighting was less than ideal. Thinking that the factory red primer on the inside/back of the dash was surface rust, I painted it black (my car is Raven Black). I wish I had left it alone. Painting it white might help with visibility (others have done it), and probably no one but you will see it or know it isn't the correct color, but I wouldn't do it.
Do you have a forehead headlamp? Mine was a lifesaver last time I was behind the dash to RR the speedometer. Anymore I use it for almost all car repairs. If you haven't tried one, give it a try. Get a halfway decent one though. The first ones I tried a few years ago weren't really bright enough and the batteries didn't last long enough.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Uncomfortable & hard to keep on my head.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I have a Craftsman rechargeable LED work light, cylinder in shape that is very bright and works great. Has a hook and magnet to put almost anywhere.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

If your doing a lot of work under the dash, pull the seat out for a lot more room to work.

My personal view on the wires is replace everything. The less connections the better. The only junctions under the dash that I remember is the one for the steering column, but I have a 56 and 57 may be different.

Try a hobby shop for the needle paint.

I had William's in Arkansas do two quartz conversions for me (my 56 Bird and 54 Ford) and have not had a problems with them. These were done some 15 or 20 years ago though. If you send it out, raise this issue with the vendor and see what they say before sending it out.

I have the CASCO heater control conversion. I did have to replace the valve once but that's the only problem I have had with it in about 9 or 10 years.

While underneath the dash, get the mechanical brake light switch from CASCO.

And I agree with painting the underside of the dash white. Much better to see under there.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ron56

Post by ron56 »

I bought the under the hood wire harness and spiced the wires to under dash wires. It was much cheaper at the time. I would agree fewer spices the better, but I was careful and haven't had any problems. I used butt spices and then covered the spice with the heat shrink with the glue inside. My kit came with the large power wires (two I think) so all the spices were with the smaller gage wire. Also in my mind there is no question, paint the underside of the dash white.
I also used the manual heater valve and it works fine.
289ace

Post by 289ace »

Thanks all, great comments so far. My plan is to remove the seat and steering column, but thought if the soft top was down, I wouldn't need to complete remove it. I'll reassess that this weekend.

Other responses are as follows-
Joe, I do have the manuals, but have found them lacking much of the time especially the trim and sealer manual. Most of the writing is completely illegible as I think they have made copies of copies too many times. I don't remember where I bought them, but will make them work as is.

55Blackbird,
at 6'2" 250, fitting under the dash is tough especially since I don't really bend any more.

Jimintempe,
I have a headlamp I use for night time Mtn Biking and will break it out. Thanks for the idea.

Ward 57, I have a very bright drop light I'll try if needed. It just always seems its in the wrong place and tough to reach.

Paul 2748,
Thank You for the detailed response. Your post has some great info and after reading Ron56's post about needing to splice the engine harness, I'll be placing the full harness on order as I prefer not to splice. A quick question on the valve, when it failed did it leak or was the coolant kept internal to the system? Just wondering about being stranded although carrying a small hose connector and a couple of hose clamps would probably have one back on the road.

Ron56,
Thank you for the information, its just what I was looking for.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I use an LED light (not cordless); it's bright enough, but it does get in the way when moving around (there isn't a lot of space). I've even put a mini flashlight in my mouth on occasion when both hands were full. I've yet to swallow it. :smile:
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The heater valve developed a leak, that is why I had to replace it. It is (or was at the time) something that is available not only from CASCO but can be found on ebay and possibly amazon. I did find the exact replacement on ebay (I think) as a spare since I bought the replacement on the car now from CASCO.

By the way, the vendor that did the quartz clock conversions is Williamson's
289ace wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 pm
Paul 2748,
Thank You for the detailed response. Your post has some great info and after reading Ron56's post about needing to splice the engine harness, I'll be placing the full harness on order as I prefer not to splice. A quick question on the valve, when it failed did it leak or was the coolant kept internal to the system? Just wondering about being stranded although carrying a small hose connector and a couple of hose clamps would probably have one back on the road.

Ron56,
Thank you for the information, its just what I was looking for.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302