Then and Now in Business?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

BJRVentport2

Then and Now in Business?

Post by BJRVentport2 »

I wanted to get a fuel pump rebuild kit from Then and Now Automotive for my 56 Bird. Their phone goes to voicemail and the mail box is full, the email does not go through also. Are they still in business?
RossL

Re: Then and Now in Business?

Post by RossL »

I tried to get in touch with them a couple of months ago. I was able to leave a message at that time, but they didn't return my call. Also sent them a message on Facebook, no reply.

I used AG Rebuilders for my pump. If I could have gotten a kit from Then and Now I would have done it myself
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

It's really unfortunate that these old school technicians are retiring with nobody to follow in their footsteps. They were set financially and the prices reflected their love of the craft. Now to get anybody to go into the crafts they must charge more but we need to support them and not bitch about the cost. Quality is not inexpensive and that is why this forum is so important.
Learn how to do it yourself as much as you can. The self satisfaction on a project well done is priceless.
I just had a local clock smith retire and his son was not interested in continuing the business. I did a search for another locally, to rebuild my hall clock and none were younger than 60.
Bring back the trades in our schools!
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I'am sorry to admit this, It's a throw away disposable world today. The young are not interested.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

So are they out of business?
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

ICON 1956 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 pm I'am sorry to admit this, It's a throw away disposable world today. The young are not interested.
They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying.

(Variously attributed to Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, etc., etc.)
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

OP asked a simple question. And only 1 one answered it and the rest made posts unrelated to the question.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I think it's just the angst of loosing another supplier to keep our original pumps alive as ethanol takes it's toll.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The problem with fuel pumps today is the lousy china pumps. A lot of gripes are being blamed on ethanol, most, if not all, is unwarranted (my opinion).

I have said this in the past and I say it again. IN NJ, it's extremely hard to find non-ethanol fuel. I have used 10 % for years and years. Three old cars. Absolutely no problems. No deposits, no corroded fuel tanks, carbs are clean, no fuel pump problems. 10% put in my tank in October still starts the car in April. Maybe 10 % is not as volitile as no ethanol, but it works. My only example of problems with 10 % is with my son's street rod (small block Ford) For years, on my recommendation, he never used a stabilizer except for one year that he did. That year, there were all kinds of deposits in his carb (he used Sta-bil). I think it's the other junk that people put in their tanks that cause the problems they have.
ward 57 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:32 pm I think it's just the angst of loosing another supplier to keep our original pumps alive as ethanol takes it's toll.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

Once you have replaced the rubber parts AND you drive the vehicle fairly regularly, you are unlikely to have problems due to ethanol fuel. Many owners drive they cars less than 500 miles a year and at times not at all for weeks/months. Thats when the issues start to develop. Most "stabilizers" do little to nothing. Non-ethanol would, of course, be much better and would have none of the problems unless it was very old, but few of us are able to get it.
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

So I got one answer remotely replying to my question and still no one said for sure if they are still n business. Just everyone posting what they know about fuel pumps and bitching about the state of the hobby. Thanks.
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

BJRVentport2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:09 pm So I got one answer remotely replying to my question and still no one said for sure if they are still n business. Just everyone posting what they know about fuel pumps and bitching about the state of the hobby. Thanks.
Infuriating, isn't it? At least you didn't get the typical internet forum response along the lines of "I don't have a Tbird, but I owned a 69 Chevy one time that had a totally different system; you should have bought one of those." :)
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Mike Casella/Then & Now announced his retirement a few years ago. A suggestion for a rebuilder was mentioned by one of the first commenters. Suggest looking for rebuild providers.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster