1961 radiator replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ThunderJoe717

1961 radiator replacement

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

I have what I believe to be an early 61 tbird. I noticed the trans lines are entering and exiting on the passenger side of the radiator. Sourcing parts I noticed all the replacements have the trans lines going in the driverside. Did they switch the routing or the actual outputs on transmission? I noticed the 1960 tbird radiator have the same positioning of the trans line on the radiator but I'm unsure if that'll work with the 1961 mounting holes. Any Ody know where i could get an aluminum replacement?
sacredsteel

Re: 1961 radiator replacement

Post by sacredsteel »

My radiator was the same way. I read that they changed it so the ports are on the driver side mid way through 61 because of the transmission fluid not cooling properly. US radiator makes them so you can still get them. I went with the late model and just extended the cooler lines. They build to order so you have options. I went with the high efficiency 3 row and I have zero cooling problems even in hot weather. Pretty much a perfect fit. They are a bit pricy but well worth it in my opinion.
ThunderJoe717

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

You said you extended the trans cooling lines? I'm interested in learning more about this. Did you make custom lines, or is there some available so I can make the switch
wiscomick

Post by wiscomick »

Inline Tube makes a stainless set of transmission lines that should make the transition from driver's to passenger's side painless. I have the same issue as you on my early 61 and I'm going to be ordering from them. Found I have a leaky radiator myself and would rather update while it's apart.
ThunderJoe717

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

Could you post the part number for online tubes? I looked at their inventory and couldn't find re directed trans lines. I think they say that they follow the factory routing
sacredsteel

Post by sacredsteel »

I just bent the tubing with a tubing bender and made up some line and ran them across the bottom cross member and up to the rad connections. Pretty easy to do. I bought a set from inline tube but the connections weren't the right size and it's a bear to get to the connections at the transmission
Attachments
IMG_9274.jpg
IMG_9273.jpg
ThunderJoe717

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

Never thought of that, what a fantastic idea. That'll save a bunch of money seeing how I ordered a radiator and noticed a day later it was a drivers side trans line radiator. I know the early bird radiators are more expensive