Oil sender location 390 v8 1962 thunderbird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Mvs62bulletbird

Oil sender location 390 v8 1962 thunderbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Hi, all I have the 1962 Ford Thunderbird with a lot of questions on the roadster. I am putting a oil cylinder electric sender unit in to monitor the oil pressure and if anyone has the best location to put that sending unit in please let me know if you’ve got some pictures, that would be great, after everything I’ve seen I think it’s on the back end of the engine and that’s where I should look or right above the oil filter. There should be a second place that gives me the location.

I could be totally wrong on both, but I sure appreciate some of the wisdom that’s in this group look forward to hearing from you. I want to get this knocked out this weekend or early next week. Greatly appreciate your time , your input in any photos you may have. Sincerely Michael Vonsmith.

The next student I’m putting in is the water water temperature gauge and I can do that right on the top hose of the radiator with the kit or somebody else’s got a better location that you don’t have to split the hose but the kit in that would be awesome. As always again thank you.
Karl

Re: Oil sender location 390 v8 1962 thunderbird

Post by Karl »

G'day.
When my son rebuilt the engine for my 63 I wanted to run the engine on a test bench to see if there were any problems prior to installing it into the car.
I made a test stand up and a control panel, on the panel I could see if the original style sending unit was working and also what the oil pressure actually was. I also had a gauge for fuel pressure.
All I did for this was where the original oil pressure gauge goes into the top of the oil filter housing, removed that and run a steel line up to about where the rocker cover is. Made a block up to accommodate the two sending units. This could be done down on top of the oil filter housing.
You can't see the unit in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg6XhSGOjtI

I sill have the pipe work I think, I could take a photo of it later if you want.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Hi thanks for the detailed response. You bet I’ll love a photo of the sending unit location and steel hose

G-day !

Michael
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day Michael.
Here is a couple of photos, I think I just mounted it to one of the intake manifold bolts. Keep in mind I only had this mounted to the engine whilst it was on the test bench. In saying that there is no reason if you wanted to have it permanently mounted to run two gauges.
Oil pressure line - modified 2.jpg
Oil pressure line - modified 3.jpg
Oil pressure line - modified 4.jpg
The pipe just went into the hole where the normal pressure switch goes.

Here is another photo of the fuel line that I split so I could see how much fuel pressure there was in the system.
Fuel line - modified.jpg
I just used a nylon push in fuel line to go from the junction to the pressure gauge.

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop