1955 Valve cover gasket replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Tacweld

1955 Valve cover gasket replacement

Post by Tacweld »

Any suggestions to replacing the gaskets on a '55. Should I use any silicone to set gasket on cover. What is the bolt torque? Thanks.
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1955 Valve cover gasket replacement

Post by Alan H. Tast »

(Mr. Moderator, please move this to the 1955-1957 Thunderbird Fourm)

I apologize for this response, but your question and how it was asked is providing a 'teachable moment' that many people need to see. Seeing that you've been a VTCI Fourm member since 2018 with 18 previous posts, it would be a good time to learn how to use the 'Search' function - it's a great place to start looking for answers to your questions.

In the upper right corner of the page is the "Search" feature. If you type in the words 'valve cover gasket' you'll come up with a listing of past postings that include those words: valve cover gasket

search.php?keywords=valve+cover+gasket

With the 126 matches that come up, you'll want to narrow it down to your generation. You can do this on the 'Search' page by re-entering the words 'valve cover gasket' and then select the phrase 'Go to Advanced Search', which will open a new window that will have a listing of Forums to narrow to search down by. If you type in 'valve cover gasket' and select '1955-1957 Thunderbirds' for the list of Forums, the list will shorten to 32 matches pulled from the 1955-1957 Thunderbird forum, like this:

search.php?keywords=valve+cover+gasket& ... mit=Search

With the shorter list of matches, I can see quite a few responses about gaskets, sealant recommendations and other items related to your question. You'll want to open several of them and see where they take you, and be aware that there are icons at the bottom right of the page to take you to more of the responses - 3 pages' worth in this instance. Hopefully a few of these will help get you the answer you're looking for if nobody posts additional recommendations.

PLEASE direct questions in the generation-specific Forum that applies to the year/generation of T-bird you're working on - if it's a question about a non-stock/modified item, it should go in the modified portion of that generations' forums.

viewforum.php?f=37 shows all the Forums available, both stock and modified.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Stamped steel or cast (dress-up) valve covers? Torque to 2 1/2-5 lbs.(30-60 inch lbs.) However, I would not trust a ft.lb. torque wrench to be that precise, and it's not likely it's been calibrated recently, if ever. You might be just as well off cinching it down with a box wrench or 3/8-drive socket, but don't over-tighten. If it's too loose/too tight, it will leak. Once installed, check it occasionally to see if the acorn nuts have loosened.

I would use Best gaskets and use RTV to attach gaskets to valve covers. Do not use any sealant between the gaskets and heads. If done correctly, it should not be necessary to replace the gaskets every time you remove the valve covers. You should be able to get Best valve-cover gaskets from John Mummert (ford-y-block.com).
Tacweld

Post by Tacweld »

Thanks blacktie for the sound advise. These are cast covers and I've already ordered the gaskets from Casco, but I think now a good opportunity to buy that small torque tool that I've needed for my road bike as well. I agree I don't think my standard torque wrench would provide an accurate measure.
Thanks again.
Tacweld

Post by Tacweld »

Alan, thanks for the reply and suggestion on posting. I thought I was in the correct '55 forum, I guess not. It's been awhile since I've posed anything on this site, which is an awesome source of reliable information and engaged enthusiasts. Will try better next time.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

55blacktie wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:54 pm Stamped steel or cast (dress-up) valve covers? Torque to 2 1/2-5 lbs.(30-60 inch lbs.) However, I would not trust a ft.lb. torque wrench to be that precise, and it's not likely it's been calibrated recently, if ever. You might be just as well off cinching it down with a box wrench or 3/8-drive socket, but don't over-tighten. If it's too loose/too tight, it will leak. Once installed, check it occasionally to see if the acorn nuts have loosened.

I would use Best gaskets and use RTV to attach gaskets to valve covers. Do not use any sealant between the gaskets and heads. If done correctly, it should not be necessary to replace the gaskets every time you remove the valve covers. You should be able to get Best valve-cover gaskets from John Mummert (ford-y-block.com).

For torque, I’ve always gone finger tight on the acorns then a 1/4 turn with a wrench. Good starting point.

Somehow in 24 years of having Y Blocks I’ve never known Mummert sold Best gaskets. New to me. I’ll use them next time. Learn something new everyday.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

NAPA has the gasket set and comes with the washers also. They are a known national brand and work great for less than $20.
VTCI # 13223