Generator bearing spring

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

swatson999

Generator bearing spring

Post by swatson999 »

Swapped out the generator for a newly rebuilt one, and planning to overhaul the failed unit to put on the shelf. I ordered a new armature, brushes and bearings. But in examining the failed unit, I don't see a part that's shown on the drawings, nor can I find it in any of the usual sources. It's FAB 10087-B (correction...should be A), Spring - Generator bearing. It's shown as going on the armature shaft at the rear, presumably to hold the bearing in place. I suspect it was never installed on the failed unit (which may have contributed to the failure, who knows?). Does anyone know what this part is, what a substitute part would be that could be used, etc.?

Whoever overhauled the failed unit did a terrible job, IMO. Gobs of grease on the bearings (sealed bearings, no grease required), one of the brushes had a broken lead wire which got wedged between the brush and the holder, etc., leading to some truly bad-looking commutators. No wonder it gave up the ghost and started randomly deciding not to generate power.

Thankfully, the replacement is good, and back on the road! Anyway, any help is much appreciated! TIA!
Last edited by swatson999 on Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul T. Amick

Re: Generator bearing spring

Post by Paul T. Amick »

Hi, From what I can figure per Hill's catalog page 91 the brushes can be ordered as a kit with tthe springs or without. Maybe that's what they did. The springs are #10057 brushes #10069 or kit 10001-BK. Check it out. Also don't forget Thunderbirds use the kit to relocate the hot post on gen. backing plate #10211-AC But just look at the pics on page 91. Good luck
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

Let me try this again.

I'm not asking about the springs for the brushes. I'm asking about some sort of spring that goes on the shaft to retain the bearing, part number FAB 10087 as I said.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-01 095815.png
Screenshot 2024-04-01 095815.png (15.47 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Screenshot 2024-04-01 094736.png
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

Soon after I bought my car, the 6V gen. died on the way to having it worked on. The mechanic replaced it with a pass. car gen. (had to twist his arm to get back the orig. core). When the replacement died, I rebuilt it successfully and installed the backing plate kit. But, been too long. No memory now of how I managed it. I always wondered if there was any other difference between them, as they had a different rating in the parts manual specs. (?). Rebuilt replacement performed fine though.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

This will be interesting as I'm going to convert my generator this spring as soon as it's warm enough to work on. I bought the car with 80K on the odometer in the early 70's and someone had replaced the generator by then with the car style instead of refurbishing the original.
VTCI # 13223
Paul T. Amick

Post by Paul T. Amick »

I have rebuilt half dozen of these. I only replaced the 2 bearings 2 brushes 2 springs. I have never had a problem. The armature (rear) seats into the rear bearing. So either I've lucky or the FAB10087-B is not needed. But if you read the part # it has an A not a B. Who klows. I would just put it together, you may never even use it. Good Luck
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

Paul T. Amick wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:45 pm I have rebuilt half dozen of these. I only replaced the 2 bearings 2 brushes 2 springs. I have never had a problem. The armature (rear) seats into the rear bearing. So either I've lucky or the FAB10087-B is not needed. But if you read the part # it has an A not a B. Who klows. I would just put it together, you may never even use it. Good Luck
That's excellent info, thanks! I actually found one on Ebay and bought it, but we'll see if it's even worth putting in or as you found, forgetting about it. And you're right, the suffix is A, not B. It's the prefix that changed (from FAA to FAB).

Paul T. Amick

Post by Paul T. Amick »

101_0518.JPG
101_0517.JPG
Hi, Here is one of the GENERATOR backing plates I did.