1955 smaller steering wheel, reduced steering column length

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Mfr1003

1955 smaller steering wheel, reduced steering column length

Post by Mfr1003 »

Hello! I am new, I just acquired a 55 tb blue, but no one but my 5ft nothing mother in law can effectively drive it stock. I will keep the originals, but I have heard there are smaller steering wheels you can buy. I’ve seen them on the 56 and 57 but is there one for the 55? Bonus points if it’s the right color but not necessary.

Also, there is a shaft adjacent spline collar, can that be removed, and would it create more room? I can’t move the power seat back any further, I tried.

Also, the radio doesn’t appear to do anything, and the red generator ( GEN) light stays on even after I turn off the vehicle and take out the Key. There is a short somewhere in this car, and if I don’t keep the battery topped off, it will drain it. Idk where it is, but I suspect it has something to do with that generator. The shop I brought it to claims they did extensive diagnostic work on the generator, and it’s fine, supposedly. It was actually the voltage regulator that they said needed to be replaced. As well as a radiator crack, which they claim they fixed. If anyone is in the SE Michigan area, feel free to PM me, I’d love another set of eyes on it. She’s a beauty, and it will be ready for Dream Cruise. It’s running now and it will go. Just needs a quick clean up from people’s shoes. I’m way too big to drive this thing, so for now my MIL will be behind the wheel, and I’ll sit by, lol.

Other than that, I’m just waiting till the correct battery comes in. Got a temp battery in there now that is too big for the holder, but works well enough to go around the block.

Image[/img][/img]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
ward 57

Re: 1955 smaller steering wheel, reduced steering column length

Post by ward 57 »

I must agree that the cockpit is tight. Same with the early Corvettes but it's the nature of the beast. They weren't designed for big people as they were few at the time and advertised to appeal to women also who were smaller.
I don't know but I think the '55#'56 use the same wheel. If the column can still be adjusted, good. Don't mess with it.
My dad learned to drive with no P/S and huge wheels for leverage and sat close to the wheel for that. Different engineering that worked at the time.
The light on and regulator diagnosis sounds good. There are other threads on here about that. I'm sure there are some about the radio if it has power.
VTCI # 13223
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

56 and 57 use the same steering wheel. The 55 wheel is unique to 55 and has a shallower dish. A 56-57 wheel will be closer to the driver than the 55 wheel. Ford compensated for the deeper dish of the 56-57 wheel by shortening the steering column.

Mfr, look for a PM later this evening.
Mfr1003

Post by Mfr1003 »

I appreciate people jumping to reply, I’ll admit I wasn’t expecting such nice replies, and certainly not so quickly. I was hoping this lined collar I took a photo of was removable somehow. I know these are tight, and to compensate I am either looking into a deeper seat track, moving the seat track slightly, shortening the steering column, or somehow removing that stop gap collar on the column. It doesn’t seem to serve a purpose beyond minimal spacing constraints. The column appears to move freely, there’s no locking nob to hold a particular position of the wheel in or out. That seemed weird to me so I wondered if that lined collar was added post a restoration and thus it might be removable. Or maybe made shorter? I feel like every inch I can squeeze out of this equation somewhere would add up to being more comfortable of a ride. It’s not like my belly is really the issue. The steering wheel doesn’t even make it to my belly, it’s my legs. Not to mention the height of the car and how hard it is to get into.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

That grooved collar is simply the locking device for your telescopic feature on the steering wheel position. Loosen it and slide the wheel forward or back and tighten by hand the collar. It’s not removable. If this feature has not been maintained, not uncommon, the collar can be very hard to loosen and then the wheel very hard to move.
posmanski

Post by posmanski »

Yes, it's a good idea to "exercise" your telescoping steering column occasionally to keep it freed up!
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Looking at the steering wheel from the driver's seat, turn the locking collar clockwise to the right to loosen it. The Tbird suppliers sell a special tool for that, if it's stuck, or you could try loosening it with a strap wrench.
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

According to the owners handbook there is 3” of movement fore and aft for the steering wheel. If your legs are the issue you should pull the steering wheel closer to you. I have long legs and that is what I do when I drive my 57. If you do that and lower the seat all the way you should have enough space if you are less than 6”3” tall.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

We wrapped the collar with a shop rag and used a pair of oil filter pliers to loosen the one on our ‘57. I assume that it had not been loosened for a long time.

After it was loose I ran it through the full range of motion and carefully sprayed silicone lubricant under the collar while I rotated it. I held a large rag underneath it. Some pretty ugly stuff came out.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

posmanski wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm Yes, it's a good idea to "exercise" your telescoping steering column occasionally to keep it freed up!
This is true. I've heard many stories of when owners 'Discover' the column is adjustable but hasn't been moved in years and is stuck. I keep mine used as the tonneau was cut with the wheel all the way out but drive with it all the way in. Plus, I move it out when crawling under the dash for extra room.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

There is no commercially available smaller steering wheel for a 55.

As for the generator light, I suggest removing both the generator and regulator and have them checked out by an automotive electrical shop. One easy test to make - remove the negative battery cable (power cable if still 6V positive ground). Then slowly move the cable to the battery negative post and see if you get a spark. If so, there is a drain (short) on the system. Then you have to find out where it is (could be the regulator).
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

THis was posted on facebook a while ago.
1955 smaller steering wheel tbird.PNG
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

1957Birdman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm According to the owners handbook there is 3” of movement fore and aft for the steering wheel. If your legs are the issue you should pull the steering wheel closer to you. I have long legs and that is what I do when I drive my 57. If you do that and lower the seat all the way you should have enough space if you are less than 6”3” tall.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White

I agree. I’m 6-1 and have never felt cramped on our 55 or 57. (It’s not like our 76 Eldorado convertible was but that’s a different story).
If most owners are like me, my steering wheel is pulled all the way out and same thing on the seat..all the way back and neither one ever moved except for cleaning and maintenance and that’s not often.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Note = OP says supplier not taking any more orders

Jimntempe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 pm THis was posted on facebook a while ago.

1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

This is the only time I've seen a smaller 55 wheel; it's doubtful that very many were made. Anyone who has one either won't part with it, or will want a boatload of money for it.