6volt generator conversion to 12 volt alternator

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Mvs62bulletbird

6volt generator conversion to 12 volt alternator

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Hi, I have 62 Ford Thunderbird with a 390 V8 and the generator is there original one and it works. A low mileage, Thunderbird roadster. I am looking to upgrade the system to a 12 V alternator one wire. Any thoughts on that anyone have the current wiring diagram to do that or a great reason to talk me out of doing it. It seems like the biggest chance are headlight stemming when you’re idle having to grease the RPMs in the car motor to put the top up those kind of things. Also, if I have to have a jump or rather be jumping at 12 V system into a 12 V system Alan I don’t know if you’re still our technical monitor moderator that can help out on this I’d like all thoughts and what you guys opinions are and what you did , almost ready to pull the trigger on this I just want to get the feedback before I do it. There are a few kids out there and if you guys have a specific kit that you recommend from Ecklers or Mac auto or 62 Tbird conversion@godwilling.com.

I appreciate any of all input. Thank you so very much one last question on the reading I’ve done which has been extensive and seems to me if I upgrade the generator so I have newer one, so I’m getting more generated juice if you will or just leave the existing generator that’s doing the job Some Sam far better off please weigh in on the thought too. Thank you very much michael
ToniR

Re: 6volt generator conversion to 12 volt alternator

Post by ToniR »

I would recommend Powergen by Powermaster.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?p=129142&hilit=POWERMASTER#p129142
Ducksface

Post by Ducksface »

I did not know 1962 tbird had 6 volt Generator.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?t=19646
my build/rebuild/era-correct silly accessories/whine thread.
Member :duckie: :duckie: :duckie: #13109
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Ducksface wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:23 pm I did not know 1962 tbird had 6 volt Generator.
Maybe they were leftovers from 1955 :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
Mvs62bulletbird

Hi, I wanted to make amends for my post regarding the 6 V thunderbird generator that doesn’t exist. It’s a 12 V generator on the 62 Ford Thunderbird please excuse my speaking/incorrectly with the 12 V to 6 foot conversion and everything else is for running through my mind with this car is a beautiful 62 Ford Thunderbird it’s really easy to make that mistake and I did it. I just wanted you guys to know that, I caught my own mistake and I appreciate all your input. Fabulous thank you Michael.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I second the suggestion of Powergen by Powermaster. There’s one that looks like the original generator and can be ordered with a post to power the instrument panel generator light. The one on my 61 worked flawlessly. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Mvs62bulletbird

Hello Bill, which power master alternator did you use? I believe the number is 82512–2 with the generator light and without.
Powermaster | #255821582
Powermaster 82158-2 Powergen Alternator, 90A, T-Bird, Black,

There are other ones by PowerGen that I’ve looked at that all the same specs that looks like the correct clocking at all of that so I’d love to get your feedback
I’m also looking at this one
The chrome one just because it looks really cool I’ll attach pictures and I am keeping a running list with receipts and photos as I go so one day I can be as helpful as you guys are to someone else because your advice and suggestions are so invaluable
Attachments
Powermaster alternator
Powermaster alternator
Second option, power, master alternator
Second option, power, master alternator