Missing Part: Lock Latch

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Israel6

Missing Part: Lock Latch

Post by Israel6 »

Hello,

I have a 1962 hardtop t-bird and I'm working on the interior. I hit a snag and was hoping someone could help me. I can not find the lock catch for the center glove box. I have been searching for days online and in catalogues. I found a picture of what its suppose to look like. If you happen to know where i can find the lock catch please let me know, the center glove box is bouncing around while driving. Thank you.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-20 142712.png
Screenshot 2024-03-20 142712.png (45.51 KiB) Viewed 171 times
bigbrownpilot

Re: Missing Part: Lock Latch

Post by bigbrownpilot »

I bought a plastic reproduction of one that was supposed to fit a Galaxie, and it fits but the latch still won't engage. I've given up!
Israel6

Post by Israel6 »

Hello,

Thanks for responding. I had a similar issue and gave up after talking to so many distributers. I am now talking with a guy who does 3d printing and hopefully with the pictures and some measurements he could recreate it. I am not giving up.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I'm not quite understanding what you're missing here - is it the metal wire loop that screws to the console lip (part '12' in the illustrations below), or the latch part of the lock assembly (part '20' in the illustration below) that is pinned in place and has a fine metal spring, which is unlatched by the push button in the top of the console lid? Posting pictures of what you currently have for the lock assembly in the console lid (door) and at the console would be most helpful here. There's no metal parts or anything plastic from a Galaxie 500/XL or Fairlane Sport Coupe console that will work with the 61-63 T-bird glove box lock/latch assembly.

The wire loop catch should be readily available out of parts cars - originals are chrome-plated. If you are striking out in finding one, you can fabricate one from a larger-diameter piece of round steel rod, bending to the profile needed, flattening the ends and drilling holes for the mounting screws. I don't understand why you think this needs to be 3D-printed, if this is what you're referring to.

As for the lock assembly, the catch lever is a small, thin metal plate that's cut out to form a catch, with a hole in it for the pin on which the latch pivots. Often times this piece is missing because the retaining pin fell out, or the latch doesn't function correctly because the small spring is broken. Once again, someone parting out a '61-'63 may have this, including the used parts vendors that help support this Forum and VTCI. You may not be correctly describing what you're looking for.

This illustration is from the 1962 Thunderbird Shop Manual with items labeled.
Dash Pad and Console (from 1962 Thunderbird Shop Manual)
Dash Pad and Console (from 1962 Thunderbird Shop Manual)

Below illustrations are from the 1963 Thunderbird Body-Trim-Sealer assembly manual reprint from Jim Osborne Reproductions: if you don't have a copy of this in your T-bird reference library, get one - now!

Partial view of Glove Compartment door, console latch, lid and lock - see numbered listings below for part numbers:
Console Latch, Lid & Lock (from 1963 T-bird Body/Trim/Sealer Manual)
Console Latch, Lid & Lock (from 1963 T-bird Body/Trim/Sealer Manual)

Detail AA of glove compartment door catch - see numbered listings below for part numbers:
Console/glove box lid Latch-Catch Diagram (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual pg 3-4262)
Console/glove box lid Latch-Catch Diagram (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual pg 3-4262)

Parts #'d 11-17 from the console diagram:
Console/glove box lid parts 11-17 (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual pg 3-4262)
Console/glove box lid parts 11-17 (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual pg 3-4262)

Parts #'d 18-21 from the console diagram:
Console/glove box lid parts 18-21 (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual pg 3-4262)
Console/glove box lid parts 18-21 (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual pg 3-4262)

The underside of Glove Compartment door, lock/latch assembly and corresponding catch location on the console can be seen in these photos.

View of catch inside of glove box showing profile and bends to offset the center from the ends.
Glove Compartment Door Latch catch
Glove Compartment Door Latch catch

Underside of Glove Compartment Door showing lock/latch assembly.
Underside of Glove Compartment Door with lock/latch assembly.
Underside of Glove Compartment Door with lock/latch assembly.

Driver's side view of lock/latch assembly. Loop of spring wire can be seen on top of latch lever. When the lid is closed, the lever rotates up and the slot contacts the catch bar. Roll pin can be seen sticking out of lock housing casting.
Driver's side view of lock/latch.
Driver's side view of lock/latch.

Bottom/passenger side of lock/latch assembly.

Latch lever out of lock assembly. Hole is where roll pin goes through.
Latch Lever
Latch Lever

The '61-'62 Glove Compartment differs from the '63 - it's a smooth, white plastic as opposed to a textured black finish for '63.
1961-1962
1961-62 Glove Compartment
1961-62 Glove Compartment

1963 Glove Compartment
1963 Glove Compartment
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster