96 Thunderbird "Bucking"

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

96 Thunderbird "Bucking"

Post by Terri McNeill »

My 96 T-Bird just started something really strange... it feels like it is "bucking!" or surging... Especially bad when you really get down on it (I often have my foot in it!) I have a check engine light that is on and off... the codes are PO1443 which I know is the evap system but can that cause this problem???

Help!! Please...
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

It may...if there is a vacuum leak in the evap circuit. It also sounds like it could be fuel related. Do you still have the original fuel pump? Is the filter new?
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

thanks Jeff... I had thought of the vacuum leak and possibly the fuel filter... I guess I don't what to think about the fuel pump!!! (filter needs to be changed and the pump is the original) But, I wanted to hear it from the expert (you have been working on this era car for a long time) to see what you thought. I am going to spend some time with it this afternoon and check out a few things... There may be more questions!

hope to see ya in Minnesota? Or Ohio?

Terri
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

well when is the last time you cleaned the maf sensor? just throwing it out there as an idea.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

Actually... a few hours ago! (I thought that might be and idea too) But it wasn't even dirty!! Took it for a ride and it is still doing it. Although I did notice one thing, with the car in park and running if you hit the gas really quickly there is a hesitation before the engine responds?

thanks for trying... if you think of something, let me know

Maybe we will see you in Minnesota or Ohio?
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

i should be in ohio, double dipping the vtci international and the nmra columbus race all the same weekend within 50 miles of each other.

unplug the maf completely and see if there is a change.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

Well if Vic is going to Ohio, I guess I'll go to Minnesota then (pretty sure Bev is tagging along this time too). :razz:

Change the fuel filter and see if that helps. Do the cheap/necessary stuff first...
- Jeff

Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

Gee... don't you guys go to the same shows anymore??? :razz: It will be nice to see you Keith, in Ohio and you, Jeff & Bev in Minnesota! We haven't seen Bev since she got into the Greyhound thing... And I hope by then I have something fixed with my car!!

looking forward to seeing ya

Terri
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

Just wanted to let you know I found the problem... a plug wire!!! But while I was trying to hunt down the problem one of the coils went out also!... I guess this is what I get for having a 13 year old car with very little going wrong with it in that time, now it gonna do it all at once!

take care see ya in Minnesota and Ohio!
Terri
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

Excellent...that's good news, I think. '96 is COP right? If so, when one coil fails, there's usually a few more that follow. I had one go out on my Mark (and also in the F250) and both vehicles had two more fail within a few months of the first one. A whole set of 8 is $$$, but I would advise buying a spare or two to keep on hand.

If not, replace both coil packs and wires (not Motorcraft wires, a lot of people have had problems with them not lasting).

Now I have diesel vehicles and don't mess with coils, wires and plugs anymore :mrgreen:
- Jeff

TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Funny, I had the same problem with my '94 4.6. I was commuting 160 miles a day at the time, and I was about 75 miles from home when it started to miss like mad...even with AAA, that's a crappy feeling when you're so far from home. As you mentioned, the more "foot" you gave it, the worse it got.
My first impression was something fuel-related. Turned out to be nothing more than a plug wire that had split and was arcing so bad you could see it in full daylight. A new set of wires solved the problem - cheapest, easiest fix I'd had in a long time for something that really felt serious initially!
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

I only have two coils... not one for each cylinder so the one coil made it run on 4! I was lucky enough to be about 3 blocks (but had to climb a major foot hill with about 40% grade!) from a place that had just done some brake work on my car! A great little ma & pa place that really knows his Fords. I limped it in, called Bob at home which is only about a mile from there and he got me to work.

He also found the initial problem with the plug wire that day also. My first thought was fuel also, it just didn't feel like electrical to me... then with the evap check engine light I was starting to look into that when the coil failed. I didn't know it but the check engine light actually flashed with a code when something major happens like the coil! Scared me to death to see a flashing check engine light when that darn thing has just glowed half the car's life.

Should I be on the lookout for the second coil to fail?
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Terri McNeill: Should I be on the lookout for the second coil to fail?
If it was me, I'd definitely replace it now, rather than wait for it (inevitably) failing when you're out driving somewhere...
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333