Cruise-o-matic shift point

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

GeoffInCarlsbad

Cruise-o-matic shift point

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Hi, I am the owner of at 1961 ragtop, and just finally got around to an engine teardown and rebuild. The motor is strong and no more leaks! Runs better than ever.

Before I did this, I made a decision a couple of years ago to change out my transmission fluid and new filter. I don't know if the previous owner ever did this. Messy, but easy-peasy, right? Ever since, I cannot get a seal on the pan! So, I finally found the shift shaft seal was leaking. I brought it to my mechanic who works on my contemporary vehicles, and had him do it. Sho'nuf...I still have a leak, but the real change is my shift points. I was in spec (D1-D2 at about 8-10mph) then to third gear about 35mph. Now, since getting it back from him, my leak is still there (I'll be bringing it in for rework) and my shift points are way out of whack: 25mph and 55mph. WTF?

Can someone point me to any posts about adjusting this? Or, now do I have to take it to a tranny shop where I'm sure i'll be a small fortune.....

Thank!

Geoff
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
sacredsteel

Re: Cruise-o-matic shift point

Post by sacredsteel »

Did he replace the modulator? Might just need adjusting. Maybe when he pulled the valve body out the modulator pin fell out with it.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Maybe the modulator. Maybe loss of vacuum to the modulator. Perhaps the trans mechanic left off the short rubber hose at the modulator? Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Thanks, Gents. I believe it to be the moderator as well. Going to address it when it stops raining.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
bigbrownpilot

Post by bigbrownpilot »

I had a problem with not getting a 2-3 shift. I turned the adjusting shrew inside the vacuum nipple counter-clockwise until the head was almost flush with the open edge of the nipple. Put it back together and under normal driving I get a 1-2 shift between 15 and 20, and a 2-3 shift between 35-40. Wide open, the 1-2 shift is between 2o and 25, while the 2-3 shift is between 45-50.