Need bulb sockets for back up lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RossL

Need bulb sockets for back up lights

Post by RossL »

I'm installing B/U lights in my 55 (converted to 12V). Someone told me the sockets they are selling now don't fit very well. Has anyone purchased these lately? Are there any alternatives available for the bulb sockets?
ward 57

Re: Need bulb sockets for back up lights

Post by ward 57 »

Back up lights are nice. But remember they only work when the parking lights or headlights are on. Just the nature of the beast so don't think once installed they don't work. It wasn't until the 70s that they were to turn on no matter what when in reverse for safety reasons that when in reverse other drivers/pedestrians knew you were backing up.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

ward 57 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:42 pm Back up lights are nice. But remember they only work when the parking lights or headlights are on. Just the nature of the beast so don't think once installed they don't work. It wasn't until the 70s that they were to turn on no matter what when in reverse for safety reasons that when in reverse other drivers/pedestrians knew you were backing up.

That’s correct. If you want them to light up any time you are in reverse you can power the switch from a source that’s hot when the key is on. That’s what I did when I rewired my car. I like for them to come on when in reverse anytime.
To answer your question I’m not aware of any socket source except our suppliers or if you get lucky and find a NOS backup light accessory kit.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

A simpler solution is to turn on your parking lights when in tight situations. Looks cool and practable in the process.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

ward 57 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:47 pm A simpler solution is to turn on your parking lights when in tight situations. Looks cool and practable in the process.

There is about a 90% chance I would forget to turn them off even after I got home since it’s daytime. And no modern buzzer.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Look for sockets at your local auto parts store. Most have a display with all kinds of electrical parts and wire.

As was mentioned, the factory wired the back up lights to the light switch so they would not go on if the light switch was off. Many have rewired them, as MarkR said, to the ignition switch so they would go on whenever the car was put in reverse.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

MarkR wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:54 pm
ward 57 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:47 pm A simpler solution is to turn on your parking lights when in tight situations. Looks cool and practable in the process.

There is about a 90% chance I would forget to turn them off even after I got home since it’s daytime. And no modern buzzer.
LOL yes I can see that. But that is another reason to put in a battery cut-off switch when after a drive but you have to remember to use it also.
VTCI # 13223
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I think Mark's solution is Simplest and most convenient.
RossL

Post by RossL »

I found the bulb sockets in a parts store that has a lot of truck and trailer parts. Autozone and Advance didn't have one large enough to fit the housing. They fit very well, tight enough not to worry about them falling out

Got everything installed and wired. I took power from the ignition +12 on the ignition switch
Attachments
BU lense.jpg
BU socket.jpg
Last edited by RossL on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Good information. Thanks for following up and posting your results.