56 Oil pump looks different - leaking

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Kozzz

56 Oil pump looks different - leaking

Post by Kozzz »

The oil pump on my 56 312 V8 is leaking. I was looking for a seal kit but couldn't find one. The standard oil pump looks different than mine, mine has a flat bottom (leaking). I am attaching a pic. Does anyone recognize this pump? Can I get a "standard" pump to put in place of this one?
IMG_6983.jpeg
paul2748

Re: 56 Oil pump looks different - leaking

Post by paul2748 »

There are two different oil pumps used on Y blocks. Unfortunately, I can't find my info on them. Some one should be able to provide this info. Here is some info from the YBlock site

There are two styles of oil pumps for the Ford Y. 1954-1956 used a spur gear pump while the 1957-1964 Ys used a gerotor pump. Replacement pumps are typically the spur gear style of pump. The spur gear pump is identified as having a cast iron cover with a cast in bump and a pair of reinforcing ribs on the cover while the gerotor pump simply has a flat steel cover. The spur gear pump uses a thin paper gasket while the gerotor pump uses an O ring. Both styles of pumps are serviceable. Here’s a link that gives both information and pictures regarding both styles of pumps.

Ford Y-Block Oil Pumps – Eaton...

Some more info

The Melling K-56 rebuild kit has been compatible with the cast iron housing gerotor oil pumps so far. There is a military gerotor pump that uses a round ball for the oil pressure bypsss rather than the piston design but the gears in that pump are also the same as the gears in the Ford aluminum version.

I have the Best Gasket ‘O’ rings for the gerotor pump. While those are round instead of being square like the originals, I’ve had no issue with those not sealing the cover to the pump. I do use white grease on that particular 'O' ring to help keep it in place while reinstalling the cover. If you need one of those ‘O’ rings, just email me your mailing address. My contact information can be found under ‘Contact Us’ at www.eatonbalancing.com .
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

There’s are at least two good articles with pictures regarding the different oil pumps and rebuilding them at Gil’s Garage.
CTCI.org then click car tech. One is under ENGINES in the index and at least one more under the list of articles in the right hand column.
Kozzz

Post by Kozzz »

paul2748 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:48 pm There are two different oil pumps used on Y blocks. Unfortunately, I can't find my info on them. Some one should be able to provide this info. Here is some info from the YBlock site

There are two styles of oil pumps for the Ford Y. 1954-1956 used a spur gear pump while the 1957-1964 Ys used a gerotor pump. Replacement pumps are typically the spur gear style of pump. The spur gear pump is identified as having a cast iron cover with a cast in bump and a pair of reinforcing ribs on the cover while the gerotor pump simply has a flat steel cover. The spur gear pump uses a thin paper gasket while the gerotor pump uses an O ring. Both styles of pumps are serviceable. Here’s a link that gives both information and pictures regarding both styles of pumps.

Ford Y-Block Oil Pumps – Eaton...

Some more info

The Melling K-56 rebuild kit has been compatible with the cast iron housing gerotor oil pumps so far. There is a military gerotor pump that uses a round ball for the oil pressure bypsss rather than the piston design but the gears in that pump are also the same as the gears in the Ford aluminum version.

I have the Best Gasket ‘O’ rings for the gerotor pump. While those are round instead of being square like the originals, I’ve had no issue with those not sealing the cover to the pump. I do use white grease on that particular 'O' ring to help keep it in place while reinstalling the cover. If you need one of those ‘O’ rings, just email me your mailing address. My contact information can be found under ‘Contact Us’ at www.eatonbalancing.com .
Thank you!! I will send you my contact info. I just need to seal that bottom cover. This should be the last leak on my 56!
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The items I posted are from Y-blocksforever.com - I do not have the o ring mentioned. Contact Ted Eaton at the email address shown.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
Kozzz

Post by Kozzz »

Great article at https://www.eatonbalancing.com/2022/01/ ... oil-pumps/

Well worth the read!
Kozzz

Post by Kozzz »

OK, anyone have any leads on a Gerotor pump gasket? Or the specs so I can find one? I would hate to buy a complete rebuild kit when all I need is the gasket.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Let me look at my spare gaskets. I will PM you tomorrow
Kozzz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:14 pm OK, anyone have any leads on a Gerotor pump gasket? Or the specs so I can find one? I would hate to buy a complete rebuild kit when all I need is the gasket.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The only gaskets I have are the ones that go in between the block and the pump.. If your looking for the one between the plate and the pump body I suggest you contact Ted Eaton or John Mummert.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Great article ! Good to know the difference between the two.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Kozzz

Post by Kozzz »

A true gentleman.
IMG_7062.jpeg
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I also have been the beneficiary of Ted Eaton's generosity!!
Definitely a knowledgeable person and a first-class act!
I too have paid it forward to fellow hobbyists as this is what our love for Thunderbirds or Y-Blocks is all about!
Share the knowledge, share the stash of parts, and help a buddy!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink