Battery Availability

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ward 57

Re: Battery Availability

Post by ward 57 »

ICON 1956 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:56 am I'am in the same position, on the fence to whether to commit the $400.00 for the period correct battery. I also had EMail from "Alice" saying the battery will be sent in April and I can give them my credit card # when it's ready to ship. I'm going into this with my eyes closed, I hope to be lucky than some others... BTW I sent Amos Minter an EMAil asking where do they get their period correct batteries. The response was the Battery Central MAll. Go figure ?
Is there any way to find out who is exactly the manufacturer? A 3 month lead time seems pretty extreme. Do they have to get a certain amount of sales to actually do a production run? I've heard of optima batteries being put into period correct cases but have not researched that as having a driver VS show car, correctness is not an issue to me.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I’m starting to lose track. Easily done these days.
By “period correct” are we still talking about Power Punch lettering? If so, here’s what I know to be true. Jim’s Battery Manufacturing is the only company that makes the Power Punch inscribed battery. This according to my contact Wayne at Battery Central Mall. Like I stated back on page 2 of this thread I’ve never ordered one so can’t comment on quality, price or lead time. Amos and Justin do use them in their high end restorations. My guess would be Blacktie’s point is valid. I doubt the Minters wait very long for a shipment.

For a none driven trailer queen I can see the Power Punch is pretty much required. For up to a very nice restoration that’s driven my choice is a common dependable battery readily available in the mid range CCA’s from a source with a good reputation for warranties. My 12v 55 right now has a 3 year old battery from Auto Zone. I’d have to walk over to my sons house to see what brand it is. Flawless performance so far. I want to know that if we take a cruise to a small desert town for dinner we’re coming back.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

You have to realize his restorations take a lot of time and not high volume so buying in bulk is probably not an issue nor the wait time.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

ward 57 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:15 pm You have to realize his restorations take a lot of time and not high volume so buying in bulk is probably not an issue nor the wait time.

I highly doubt they buy batteries in bulk.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Want a Power Punch / Go here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313049771599?i ... R9T0w4C9Yw

Bought the kit. As I said before, you can't see the "Power Punch" because it is hidden by the shield or the fender. Here is my battery from the top. Battery bought at Advance Auto, 29NF
Attachments
battery2.jpg
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Your absolutely right Paul, I have seen the EBAy ad. There's a company from Belgium that manufactures the caps and the decal.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

The weather here in Illinois is getting warmer. So I decided to get the Interstate battery Group 29 NF. I purchased it today. So I switched out the AEM battery along with the three hole battery holder. I did had the two hole battery holder. Everything fits but there is a gap between the battery tray base. I was able to secure it with the two hole battery holder. I just want to close this chapter in the forum. what is done is done so it's not period correct I have nothing to prove, She has won every award possible.
Attachments
29 NF Battery.jpg
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Looks good and a reasonable solution. I'm keeping my group 32 box with a 29nf and just fill the leftover space in front of the tray with a wood insert to keep the battery in place.
VTCI # 13223
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Hi ICON 1956!

I agree that the great weather here in the Midwest means it is time to start driving these classics again.

Were you able to get the Interstate battery off-the-shelf?

Some of us might remember that is what started this whole thread. It took me almost a month to get one through Interstate.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

ICON 1956 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:06 pm The weather here in Illinois is getting warmer. So I decided to get the Interstate battery Group 29 NF. I purchased it today. So I switched out the AEM battery along with the three hole battery holder. I did had the two hole battery holder. Everything fits but there is a gap between the battery tray base. I was able to secure it with the two hole battery holder. I just want to close this chapter in the forum. what is done is done so it's not period correct I have nothing to prove, She has won every award possible.

Good choice. I know like us, you enjoy taking your bride on country cruises. Looks great and will be reliable for a long time.
Pardon my stupidity, what do the two wires on top power?
Mark
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

My guess is that those are for a battery maintainer harness.

I have one on the battery for my wife’s lawn tractor. It makes it a lot easier to connect the maintainer. You don't have to worry about the clips slipping off the terminals.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Makes sense. I’ve never used one.
I can’t let this go by. Your WIFE’S lawn tractor? Where did I go wrong? (Lol)
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Yes, this has caused quite a bit of consternation from the other wives in the neighborhood.

For many years I was heavily involved in SCCA sports car racing. I crewed for a friend from Racine, WI for about 20 years. So I was away from home a lot of weekends over the summer. It was a challenge for me to keep with work and everything else as well as keep the grass mowed. After a couple of years of her using the self-propelled walk behind there was a discussion. That is when the tractor appeared. Me responsibility is to maintain it and keep it gassed ready to go. Plus we have arranged/landscaped the yard so she can do it all with the tractor.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

MarkR wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:47 pm Makes sense. I’ve never used one.
I can’t let this go by. Your WIFE’S lawn tractor? Where did I go wrong? (Lol)
I have one for my tractor, :smile:
VTCI Member # 12309
gt5-33

Post by gt5-33 »

gt5-33 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:51 pm I have had the yellow cap battery on order since March 2023. I still have not received a battery which was paid for up front.! Battery Central Mall is the retailer.
UPS has advised they are delivering my battery today 3/5/24.