'57 Continental Kit Upper Catch and Lower Rests

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

rovingscot

'57 Continental Kit Upper Catch and Lower Rests

Post by rovingscot »

Hi,

The continental kit on the '57 Thunderbird keeps coming unlatched. I've not been able to find a schematic online and I am trying to figure out if the catch is worn or maybe missing a part? Can anyone provide a picture of what the catch should look like?

In addition, looking at the way the continental kit rests on the body at the bottom, it does not look right that it rests metal-to-metal on the body. Is this missing some rubber parts or something? Again, picture or schematic would be appreciated on how it should look.

First picture shows the top catch, second picture shows the lower rests.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Continental Kit Upper Catch.jpeg
Continental Kit Lower Rests.jpeg
ICON 1956

Re: '57 Continental Kit Upper Catch and Lower Rests

Post by ICON 1956 »

I'am sorry to burst your bubble. Ford NEVER made a continental kit for the 57 Thunderbird. BUT there were aftermarket ones who made them and How many I don't know. I'm sure someone will chime in.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
rovingscot

Post by rovingscot »

Ah, interesting. That would be why I could not find any schematics / anything in the parts catalogs.

The kit is very well styled into the rear-bumper. Having now looked at photos of other kits, this one is very tight into the back of the car/bumper and does not look like a weird "extension" to the car (see pic).

I'm interested if anyone has any more information, as well any insights on my original questions.

Thanks!
57 Thunderbird Continental Kit.jpeg
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

That picture is the best continental package on a 57 I have seen that looks original. Most have the rear end over extended that looks fony.
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

definitely the best 57 kit I've seen. Some are horrendous.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Hi rovingscot,

Thanks for your post about this aftermarket kit. I agree that if fits and looks much better than the few others I have seen.

I have a special request. Could you show a picture of one side or other of the end of the bumper that extends toward the front of the car? I am interested if there is an extra bolt there related to the continental kit apron.

Thank you!
Rusty
VTCI 13079
rovingscot

Post by rovingscot »

Hi Rusty,

Here are a couple more pictures. Interestingly with this kit there is no "skirt" (if I understand what you are referring to). It is just the chrome bumper fitted up to the main bodywork. No body paint color "extension".

Cheers.
57 Thunderbird Rear Bumper Side.jpeg
57 Thunderbird Rear Bumper Underside.jpeg
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Looking at the detail of the add on continental kit there's plenty of thought behind it. IS the exhaust ponting coming down instead through the rear bumper. I still like the clean look from the back of the car.
VTCI Member # 12309
rovingscot

Post by rovingscot »

Correct, the exhaust pipes are not routed through the bumper. The bumper is setup with exhaust holes but for whatever reason they are not used.