Dash is off air vent control bezel stuck

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Oathkeeper13

Dash is off air vent control bezel stuck

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

I got my manuals, I got the new panel, I took the old panel off the best I could but the air vent control bezel is stuck on the panel and manuals are not helpful. I got the bezel itself loose but I can't figure out how to get the knob to come off. I feel like I'm going nowhere fast because I can't take off something that seems simple to remove and I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. *sighs* this would be easier if my grandfather was still around.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Dash is off air vent control bezel stuck

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Slow down and take a good look at what's there. Usually there is an Allen head set screw in the base of the knob that holds the knob to the shaft that controls the vent cable. You have to loosen the set screw before you can pull the knob off.

Then you have to remove the retainer that holds the bezel to the dash panel. Look closely at this-it has 4 notches in it in a cross/X pattern. The slots are for a tool that is used to unscrew the retainer from the bezel. Most people use an old deep-well socket and modify it by grinding away enough material to leave 2 or 4 tangs in the end to fit into the slots cast into the retainer. The socket then goes over the shaft, and once you have a good bite on the retainer you should be able to unscrew it, then pull it out so that the bezel and cable assembly can pull apart.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

Thank you again for your help Mr. Alan.
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

Okay, it's been a while. But I finally found something to help me unscrew the retainer and the piece on the inside of it but I still can't seem to get the knob off. I still think I'm doing something wrong. I've read your instructions carefully and multiple times but as far as getting the knob and cable assembly off I have yet to be successful. I'll keep trying.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Oathkeeper13 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:55 pm Okay, it's been a while. But I finally found something to help me unscrew the retainer and the piece on the inside of it but I still can't seem to get the knob off. I still think I'm doing something wrong. I've read your instructions carefully and multiple times but as far as getting the knob and cable assembly off I have yet to be successful. I'll keep trying.
As Alan has already noted, there is an allen set screw securing the knob to the end of the cable as shown below. You'll just need a 5/64 allen wrench.
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

I noticed the hole and I was wondering if that was what he was talking about. Thank you for the clarification.