ford metric bolts

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

marks

ford metric bolts

Post by marks »

I have been working on my interior of my 63 hardtop. I have notice that the nuts and bolts on the window mechanism and seats including the nuts holdimg the power window in place were metric. the motor had a made by ford logo on it and looked original. Iam not sure whats going on . Not sure when ford went metric. In removing items it looked like no one had been in there before me except for one front door. Any ideas? Thanks
Alan H. Tast

Re: ford metric bolts

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Uh, stupid question - where are you located? Ford and other domestic American manufacturers didn't transition to metric hardware until the '80s in full force that I'm aware of. Are you confusing the use of fine-threaded fasteners with coarse ones? If so, Ford used SAE fine-thread screws through 1964, then transitioned to coarser-pitch screws in 1965.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
marks

Post by marks »

No on the threads. I did see on the electic motor that it said Bosch on it and had a ford logo on it also had 10 mm nuts . So maybe ford subed the mechanism out?.
marks

Post by marks »

for got Lincoln CA
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
As far as I am aware and as Alan said the threads that are on a 63 Thunderbird is a Unified National thread form with the only exception being the spark plug thread. I haven't checked it but I was told the thread on a spark plug is metric.
Do you have a thread gauge?
A lot of the aftermarket parts do have metric threads. The bolts that come with the lower ball joints, the wheel cylinder bleed nipples have a U.N. thread but the hex on the outside is metric.

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I agree that you never know what hardware you will find on service parts. The 4 brake cylinders for our '57 from one "manufacturer" had 3 different hex sizes on the bleeders. The there were 2 different thread sizes.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Bosshawg181!

Post by Bosshawg181! »

I deal with this at work all the time. Metric sizes are common on the front bleeders. I see them all the way around the. The threads are same but heads are metric go figure.