Crank bolt torque tightening

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Rt.146

Crank bolt torque tightening

Post by Rt.146 »

With the motor and radiator in the car, not using the flex-plate holes to secure the crank would anyone know of another way to be able to get the crank bolt, torqued ?
jtschug

Re: Crank bolt torque tightening

Post by jtschug »

Take the inspection cover off the transmission and stick a screwdriver in one of the holes in the flexplate. Then rotate the crank until the screwdriver handle hits the engine block. That should provide enough resistance to turning to reach the bolt torque.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

jtschug I may try strapping the pulley to the frame, its just the thought of having to get the blocks under the wheels and then on the crawler going under the motor, thought once that is accomplished, it is not so bad under there, mentally, but still, at 76 I have questions as to why but thankful I can still muster up the fortitude to do it. I'm going to try a strap or chain around the pulley, if that doesn't work, up on the blocks for the x to power, time.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Be careful what you grab on the crank pulley. You don’t want to restrain the outside diameter of the harmonic balancer. You could tear the elastic liner between the other ring and the inner hub.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The other thing I was thinking was adding a piston stop into one of the spark plug holes, but I don't know how much force those can take and if it damages something it might get real expensive to fix.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

It was around 50Fmuch better than 30F or lower in an unheated garage, we jacked up the car to secure the flexplate, thereby being able to torque the crank bolt, the other idea of the chain or strap on the pulley was not working.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Glad you were able to lock the crankshaft properly.

I would not recommend any type of piston stop for the load that you would have applied. There is potential to crack a piston.

I have used a piston stop to determine true TDC. That is a very light load on the top of the piston.
Rusty
VTCI 13079