66 Engine Swap

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Jetgod

66 Engine Swap

Post by Jetgod »

Traded for a 66 TBird not long ago. The first issue was getting rid of the 20" wheels and then getting all the lights to work. Right after that I threw a rod through the side of the oil pan. I wanted to eventually convert it to a manual trans anyway so I decided to go ahead and do that while the engine is out.
I'm not the kind of guy that has to have stock. In fact, I'm just the opposite. If it can be upgraded to be better, then that's what I like to do with my cars. None of my cars are stock. My engine question is, will a 460 fit in the Bird without a ton of work? I know I would have to fabricate some mounts but that is doable. I'm thinking about building a 545 stroker (460 based) because it would have loads of torque. My other option is to build a 347 but I'm not sure the small block would have enough toque to move this heavy beast. I've considered the 7.3 Godzilla but I don't want to do that much modification.
Jetgod

Re: 66 Engine Swap

Post by Jetgod »

Jetgod wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:44 pm Traded for a 66 TBird not long ago. The first issue was getting rid of the 20" wheels and then getting all the lights to work. Right after that I threw a rod through the side of the oil pan. I wanted to eventually convert it to a manual trans anyway so I decided to go ahead and do that while the engine is out.
I'm not the kind of guy that has to have stock. In fact, I'm just the opposite. If it can be upgraded to be better, then that's what I like to do with my cars. None of my cars are stock. My engine question is, will a 460 fit in the Bird without a ton of work? I know I would have to fabricate some mounts but that is doable. I'm thinking about building a 545 stroker (460 based) because it would have loads of torque. My other option is to build a 347 but I'm not sure the small block would have enough toque to move this heavy beast. I've considered the 7.3 Godzilla but I don't want to do that much modification.
Attachments
20231217_120047.jpg
20231208_120410.jpg
jtschug

Re: 66 Engine Swap

Post by jtschug »

I think in 1967 or 1968 you could get a 428 FE or a 429 (same 385 family as 460) in a T-bird, so they both fit in that car and the inner fenders look pretty close to the same as a 1966. You may want to shop around and see some Thunderbird 429 and 428 motor mounts from the next generation T-bird to see how different they are.

Getting the engine to fit shouldn't be too much of a problem. Installing a manual will be a real PITA. Unless you have roll-up windows, all the wiring for the switches runs right where you would want to put the shifter.

Then the next big fabrication challenge will be the exhaust headers. It is a tight fit, so you may need to build them custom.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA