Engine Rebuild - Color Scheme

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

GeoffInCarlsbad

Engine Rebuild - Color Scheme

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Hi Folks:

finally got around to doing my engine tear-down and rebuild. Freeze plugs were leaking, as well as rear seal, intake manifolds, and a few other various leaks are being fixed up.

I want to paint some of the covers and parts of the motor. Does anyone have a good picture of what these motors looked like upon build? Is there a certain color-scheme to follow?

If you have rebuild your motor, or not, but have a good pic of what you are proud of, let's see it. I'd love to see how to pretty this up even more.

~g
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
Alan H. Tast

Re: Engine Rebuild - Color Scheme 1961-1963

Post by Alan H. Tast »

GeoffInCarlsbad wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:16 pm Hi Folks:

finally got around to doing my engine tear-down and rebuild. Freeze plugs were leaking, as well as rear seal, intake manifolds, and a few other various leaks are being fixed up.

I want to paint some of the covers and parts of the motor. Does anyone have a good picture of what these motors looked like upon build? Is there a certain color-scheme to follow?

If you have rebuild your motor, or not, but have a good pic of what you are proud of, let's see it. I'd love to see how to pretty this up even more.

~g
Color info is in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications (OFS) manual in the Engine section.

See these threads for paint information:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10463
viewtopic.php?p=30566&hilit=engine+pain ... +63#p30566
viewtopic.php?p=112803&hilit=engine+pai ... 63#p112803

Long story short - semi-gloss black for cylinder heads and crankcase/block, intake manifold, water pump, pulleys, front timing cover, oil pan, accessory brackets, radiator fan, generator ('61-'62), starter.

Argent Silver was used on valve covers/air cleaner for '61-62, while '63 used Castillian Gold for valve covers/air cleaner. Note in the links above there are differences in the color shades for Argent Silver and several 'wrong' shades for gold in comparison to the originals used in '63-'64. In fact, recently I've been informed that there is a 1984 Hyundai color that's supposedly a very close match to Castillian Gold, name Platinum, code GT: I have not seen a sample of this nor have I compared one against an original to know if this is correct.

Fuel pump, A/C clutch, PS pump, '63 alternator - no paint (natural);

Power steering reservoir for non-AC cars - Argent Silver

The OFS manual goes into much deeper detail on colors/finishes of numerous individual items. If you don't have a copy yet, it can be ordered through VTCI's Country Store by dues-paying VTCI members, but right now (late Nov 2023) the Country Store has been taken off-line until a new person can be found to handle/ship orders. You can order through the pullout in the Nov-Dec 2023 Thunderbird Scoop, though filling of orders is on hiatus until the replacement person thing is sorted out, which hopefully will be before we get into mid-December 2023.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
GeoffInCarlsbad

Re: Engine Rebuild - Color Scheme

thank you Alan! You're always a pro!
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Just to give you some visuals, here's some photos of an engine compartment from a '62 Roadster that I restored. It should be nearly the same as your '61. It is, to my knowledge 100% correct. Well, maybe 99% anyway. ;-) The stampings on the radiator hoses should be light blue, although everything I've seen from vendors is white or yellow.
IMG_5684.jpeg
IMG_5678.jpeg
IMG_5677.jpeg
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's a picture of my 61 engine compartment.
Attachments
thunderbird 8.jpg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Jim W, nice to see the FAN decal has the correct White lettering. (Never questioned you.) I know that is correct. Sad to see on repop decals that the fonts and colours are incorrect
In regard to the Castilian Gold colour, the Hyundi formula is the most correct available (Thanks Alan) I did a major review when I restored my car and the 84 Hyundi colour was the most accurate,
And yes Alan you saw my car in Tulsa OK with the Hyundi Castilian gold. You just may not of realized it :angel:

W
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

RAVEN wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:45 pm Jim W, nice to see the FAN decal has the correct White lettering. (Never questioned you.) I know that is correct. Sad to see on repop decals that the fonts and colours are incorrect
In regard to the Castilian Gold colour, the Hyundai formula is the most correct available (Thanks Alan) I did a major review when I restored my car and the 84 Hyundai colour was the most accurate,
And yes Alan you saw my car in Tulsa OK with the Hyundai Castilian gold. You just may not of realized it :angel:

W
Raven: You probably mentioned it to me at the time, but "the fog of battle" must have kept me from remembering that.
Raven's '64 Landau at the VTCI 2018 International - Tulsa, OK
Raven's '64 Landau at the VTCI 2018 International - Tulsa, OK
Good to know I've seen a first-hand example now, albeit 5-1/2 years ago! Which means getting to Grand Rapids in early August for the 2024 VTCI International to see how many others follow suit in using it will be something for me to look forward to.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
GeoffInCarlsbad

IMG_3648.jpeg
Wow! Great work! I opted to add some color. Ford Blue valve covers, timing chain cover and fan. Why not.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA