Speedway 54-56 Dic Brake Kit & Dual M/C?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

SWPruett

Speedway 54-56 Dic Brake Kit & Dual M/C?

Post by SWPruett »

Hello All!

Hoping for some user feedback on the Speedway Motors 54-56 Ford front disc brake kit #91032000 and dual master cylinder upgrade kit #91032008. Both kits are specifically called out to fit the Thunderbird and their demo vehicle is a ‘56 in their videos and online photos. It looks like they use the GM G-body calipers that have appeared on several other conversions along with the requisite fabricated mounting hardware and 11” rotors. The dual M/C kit uses the familiar Ford dual bowl M/C and a prop valve tuned for front disc/rear drum.

Anyone installed either (or both) of these kits? It appears they have eliminated the Midland front brake booster on their demo vehicle as part of the install but no mention is made of that. Any concerns running front disc brakes without the booster? In my mind I would think the disc brakes would be such an improvement over the original drums that the booster assist wouldn’t be missed, but I really don’t want to have to stand on the pedal to get the ‘ol girl to stop if I can avoid it.

Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated!
Joe Johnston

Re: Speedway 54-56 Dic Brake Kit & Dual M/C?

Post by Joe Johnston »

Any concerns running front disc brakes without the booster? In my mind I would think the disc brakes would be such an improvement over the original drums that the booster assist wouldn’t be missed, but I really don’t want to have to stand on the pedal to get the ‘ol girl to stop if I can avoid it.
I converted to front disk brakes (Casco complete kit) and at the time did not plumb in the original Midland booster as it needed extensive restoration. Drove the car with no issues for at least 10 years, and finally had Whitepost Restorations sleeve and rebuild the Midland unit. The biggest difference I noticed was a bit softer or less pedal effort, but never felt pedal effort was excessive without the booster. Try it without, it can always be added later. Upgrading to a more powerful or modern booster will probably require other modifications like relocating the battery.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I used the Hill's kit (which seems to be the same as CASCO's) with the booster tied into just the front.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
SWPruett

Post by SWPruett »

Joe Johnston wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:15 pm
Any concerns running front disc brakes without the booster? In my mind I would think the disc brakes would be such an improvement over the original drums that the booster assist wouldn’t be missed, but I really don’t want to have to stand on the pedal to get the ‘ol girl to stop if I can avoid it.
I converted to front disk brakes (Casco complete kit) and at the time did not plumb in the original Midland booster as it needed extensive restoration. Drove the car with no issues for at least 10 years, and finally had Whitepost Restorations sleeve and rebuild the Midland unit. The biggest difference I noticed was a bit softer or less pedal effort, but never felt pedal effort was excessive without the booster. Try it without, it can always be added later. Upgrading to a more powerful or modern booster will probably require other modifications like relocating the battery.
Thanks for the reply and experience Joe! I am interested in simplicity, reliability, and performance of course and your experience and advice seem like a wise pursuit! I feel a lot better about running without the booster toy start. The biggest thing I want to avoid is a braking system that is too touchy.
SWPruett

Post by SWPruett »

paul2748 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:30 pm I used the Hill's kit (which seems to be the same as CASCO's) with the booster tied into just the front.
Does the Hills kit use a similar caliper/rotor combo? Did you feel the addition of the booster made for a touchy/grabby system?
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

SWPruett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:00 am
Does the Hills kit use a similar caliper/rotor combo? Did you feel the addition of the booster made for a touchy/grabby system?
Both the CASCO kit and the Hill's kit use the early mustang four piston caliper (and master I think). Didn't experience any touchy/grabby
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302