Remove bearing to replace gear shift selector?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mark1965tbird

Remove bearing to replace gear shift selector?

Post by mark1965tbird »

Hi everyone,
I'm replacing the light bulb in the steering column and thought I'd replace the gear shift selector while I'm there. It looks like I need to remove the turn signal apparatus then remove the bearing to access the selector? Is there a clip holding the bearing (or anyone have advice?)? It seems like it's easy once I've got the steering wheel off, etc- if I'm mistaken please let me know.
travellew

Re: Remove bearing to replace gear shift selector?

Post by travellew »

I think a lot of people remove the actual shaft as its easier. There is one bolt (12pt though) at the steering box (under the brake booster) that holds a splined clamp. You will need a long extension to make the job easier, but it can be done without it. Back that bolt out and you can pull the whole shaft out with the bearing still on it. After that everything on the top of the column comes apart easy.

You should also either replace the shift lever, or do the weld repair to it (at least 2 good youtube videos).
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks. I'm still attempting to work with the driveshaft in the car.
Trying to carefully work the wiring harness outward so the turn signal switch comes out, the harness has black wire protector over it and it won't budge. The shop manual says to remove that protector but I don't want to cut a wire. I tried lubricating, heat gun maybe?
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

There is a clamp holding the wiring harness further down the steering column. It is accessed from below the dash. I don't recall whether it is on the top or bottom, but once you begin checking, it is easy to find. It needs to be removed completely and the wiring fed up through the hole in the column.
Hope this helps.

Terry
64HT
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks Terry. The harness is free up to the point it enters the column, I removed the 3 clips attaching it to the column. Do I need to remove the black clamp that is on the far right in the attached picture? I thought this clamp was for the swing away "door" and doesn't effect the harness?
IMG_2807.JPG
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

I removed some of the harness protector, got the turn signal switch outward and removed the bearing snap clip.
Anyone know how I can remove the bearing? The shop manual says disconnect the steering column under the hood, is that necessary?
RandyBird

Post by RandyBird »

Here are a couple of links to John Drexler/Thunderbird Ranch website, the 'Technical Stuff' section.

http://tbirdranch.com/techtips.html#Shift%20Lever

http://tbirdranch.com/techtips.html#Ste ... eplacement

http://tbirdranch.com/stcol.html

Hope they help.
1965 Special Edition that is becoming a long-term restoration project . . .
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks!
I finally got the bearing out last night by creating a thin extension for a bearing puller. My bearing insulator is toast, I plan to replace that and the bearing. Detent plate looks ok, shifter arm already replaced. Anything else folks commonly do?
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

While you are in there, replace the bulb in the shift indicator. Also check the condition of the horn contact brush. Easy to replace these (if needed) now.

Terry
64HT
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks Terry.
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

....put everything together and now my horns stuck on.......
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Sounds like the contact brush on the spring popped out of the hole when you were installing the steering wheel. The spring has to be long enough so that the carbon brush makes contact with the ring on the underside of the steering wheel, but not so long as to let the brush flop over.
Can be aggravating.

Terry
64HT
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks Terry.
I found the inner contact brush is worn at an angle and the tip came off. I glued it but when I bolted the wheel up, same problem,
How are new horn brush contacts installed? Do they just press in the plastic housing of the turn signal switch?
I see them for sale at Larry's Tbird but no instructions.
https://www.larrystbird.com/product/b13 ... lator-kit/
IMG_2799.JPG
Last edited by mark1965tbird on Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

This is a constant frustration. Although this thread is called 1964-1966 Thunderbirds, they are not the same cars. The 64 horn system (my car) is different from yours. I now understand this because you say your have 2 contacts. I also assume, from your post that you have replaced some of the screws and may be grounding the ring.
Please identify the car we are trying to help you with.

Terry
64HT
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

I have a 1965 convertible.
I found the inner contact brush is worn at an angle and the tip came off. I glued it but when I bolted the wheel up, same problem.
How are new horn brush contacts installed? Do they just press in the plastic housing of the turn signal switch?
Can I make or buy just a tip for the horn brush?