1962 No Dash Lights or Turn Signal Indicators

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Jalan

1962 No Dash Lights or Turn Signal Indicators

Post by Jalan »

Hi,
I apologize if this was already discussed somewhere. I have searched all forums I can find.
This is only my second posting.

My recent acquisition (62 HT) is causing me more grief.
When purchased, I knew the dash running lights did not work.
Still don't. Would ask for any help possible.

Situation is:
Outside car - Headlights work, parking lights work, turn signals work.
Inside car - No dash lights for gauges OR turn signal indicators.
Interior courtesy lights work fine both from door switches and headlight switch.
Clock does not work as fuse is missing.Can't find new one.
Fuel gauge. temp gauge work and generator light work fine.
Parking brake warning light works.
Radio light not working but radio works.

Pulled the headlight switch. It is fine. Will turn on interior courtesy lights.Rheostat shows variable resistance to dim lights.

Dash lights and turn signal lights get their voltage from different sources yet neither work so thought it might be a ground problem which
would sound reasonable. But ran a new ground with no difference.

This is all compounded by the fact that my hands are too large to get between the space between the ignition key area and the headlight switch area.
Arms too short to reach all around everything from the bottom to get to the bulbs.
In other words, I can't access anything behind the dash.

Questions -
Is there an easy way to loosen or partially pull out the instrument cluster so I can get in there?
If I remove the dash pad, will it allow me to get at everything behind the gauges? Looks like it will but afraid to damage as original in good shape.

Any help would be appreciated other than selling the car or pulling my hair out.
michaelperazzo

Re: 1962 No Dash Lights or Turn Signal Indicators

Post by michaelperazzo »

There is a set screw underneath each gauge pod, remove and carefully remove the unit. Then can remove some screws and pull the gauges and backing plate out a little and have access to the bulbs behind there. Some bulbs rest inside little cardboard tubes that will fall out, bulbs will be coming out of their locations too, have to pay attention where each one goes. Maybe have some new ones on hand to test. Be careful!
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

How do I remove the dash rheostat knob for the headlines, and for the dash lights without taking the dash apart to clean and lubricate it, mainly clean it and see if that fixes, my dash light problem

Also, do you know the LED replacement bulb for the dash lights
All help you would be welcome

Is it true that there should be a in-line cylindrical glass fuse that controls all the dash lights just up and underneath the dash right by the ignition switch and underneath the headlight re-reset? I can find no literature on it only direction on this site.

Thanks michael
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Let me make 2 suggestions to help both of you address the problems you are having.

If you do not have the electrical schematic/wiring diagrams for you car and the shop manual please invest in them. It is money well spent. I purchase them for every vehicle I own, even late model ones.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been able to quickly troubleshoot problems and fix them, especially electrical ones. For example, the back-up lights were not working on our '57 when we bought it. Because I had the wiring diagram is able to trace the problem to a broken wire under the dash.

The second suggestion is to resolve your current issues with dash lights using OE replacement bulbs before you consider converting to LED's. If you start installing LED bulbs now and they do not work you will add a layer of confusion. For example, some LED bulbs will not work on a circuit with a dimmer/rheostat. With respect to turn signals, an traditional thermal flasher might not work with LED's. Those bulbs do not draw enough amperage to heat up the thermal element in the flasher.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
red63white56

Post by red63white56 »

I had a 63 dimmer worked no dash lights, switch was bad. Remove l side guage cluster to access switch. My ts indicator issue was bad bulbs.