Leaks from Museum 1963 M Bird.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Giantrider

Leaks from Museum 1963 M Bird.

Post by Giantrider »

New Tbird owner.

I recently bought a 1963 M Convertible to drive to car shows. It was in Show Quality, but has only been driven 200 miles in last 4 years. Think it lived most of its life in museum settings.

Had it transported this week to storage facility by me. Local storage guy says car has leak from rear differential - probably couple teaspoons.
And coolant leak from back of engine 1/4 cup of fluid
Engine runs fine and no white smoke.

AAG that did inspection and evaluation hint more towards dried out gaskets. And then of course, seller and inspector saw no leaks on their end.

I’ll have car transported to my Tbird Mechanic. And guess and have him do a thorough inspection top to bottom, and replace whatever is worn.

Mad that the seller, a dealer in Classic Cars, couldn’t alert
Me to these leaks.
Steve Kramer
1963 M Tbird convertible Rangoon Red/ Red interior
1993 Cadillac Allante Mary Kay Pink
2020 Dodge Durango R/T AWD Black
Cliff Rankin

Re: Leaks from Museum 1963 M Bird.

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I disagree. The car may not have had any leaks until it was ran some , temperature change and fluids got up to lubricant areas. Address the coolant leak and give the seal a chance to seal . Things soften back up with use and heat.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I agree with Cliff's assessment. It does not surprise me that the vehicle started leaking only after it was started and driven. When the dealer and inspector checked the vehicle there were no fluids circulating under pressure and there was no heat to make things expand. The vehicle had not been driven so shafts had not rotated in seals which are dry and hard. Cork gaskets had dried and shrunk.

Leakage is normal in a classic vehicle especially if it is rarely driven. The other key factor is that we are spoiled by the sealing technology and designs in todays vehicles that prevent leakage. Most of these classic cars were leaking within a year after being new.

We bought our '57 out of a private 100+ vehicle collection. I expected leaks and my expectations were met. Drip pans are an essential "accessory".
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Giantrider

Post by Giantrider »

Thanks guys. My late Dad’s Mechanic - Chuck of Chux in Addison specializes in Classic Tbirds.

It was cold that day. After being in Closed Transport for 24 hours. Once my mechanic’s free - I’ll have it taken by flatbed to his location.

Personally can’t fit in car yet - haha till seat moved back and new smaller steering wheel put on.
Steve Kramer
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Could you please post a couple of pictures ?
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Giantrider

Post by Giantrider »

Icon. Will do.

Btw. I’m Steve Kramer. Pete Kramer’s son.
I’ve read many wonderful words you said about him in 2021. Appreciate your feelings about him.
As you may know he passed away in August 2021.

He felt very passionate about his car collection. Unfortunately, couldn’t physically drive his Baby Birds.
So glad that you’re enjoying the Sage Green 56. All his cars are gone. Even his 63 M code Roadster.

I found this similar 63 M code - Red on Red but it’s a convertible 85M. It’s part of the Jerry Capizzi /
Tom Monaghan Collection.

And I think it’s been mostly sitting
In Showrooms - with 67k documented miles. Only been driven 300 miles in last 4 years.
Steve Kramer