1966 Hardtop Instrument Lights Not Working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Jetgod

1966 Hardtop Instrument Lights Not Working

Post by Jetgod »

I just picked up a 66 Bird and the instrument lights do not work. I did a search here in the forums but couldn't find my issue. I bought a new headlight switch and that didn't fix it. I did some testing and the old switch is fine. Voltage can be adjusted from 13.8 volts down to zero with the dimmer. The headlight, high beams, and tail lights all work fine. I did read somewhere on this forum to jumper the R and I terminals on the switch. That didn't turn them on either.
The part that is really confusing me is at the fuse box. I'm getting voltage to the fuse when I turn the lights on and losing voltage when I turn the switch off. When I apply battery voltage to the right side of the fuse, the lights come on. Why would 12 volts turn the lights on but when the switch is on, and I have 12 volts at the fuse, (both sides) the lights don't come on? Thanks in advance for any info.
jtschug

Re: 1966 Hardtop Instrument Lights Not Working

Post by jtschug »

Sounds like a blown fuse.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Jetgod

Post by Jetgod »

jtschug wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:14 pm Sounds like a blown fuse.
The fuse is good. Have had two different fuses in the slot. I have also cleaned the connections on the fuse box.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

You say that when you apply power to one side, the lights work. What happens if you bridge the fuse connection?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA