Quarter panel removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

maw

Quarter panel removal

Post by maw »

I have a 66 hardtop with a lot of rust, so would like to take the passenger rear panel off. From the looks of it the quarter is solid with the rocker panel. I'm assuming there must be a seam there somewhere maybe filled in with lead. I haven't stripped all of the paint off yet so maybe it will be clear once I do that. If anyone has removed their panel I would appreciate any info on this matter.
vince

Re: Quarter panel removal

Post by vince »

Look at the website of Classic Sheet Metal. They sell replacement 'panels' and looking at their parts catalog you can see what pieces look like. The rear quarter is all one piece. I had rust in the lower part of the rear and had an expert body man cut and weld in a new lower panel. The rest of the quarter panel was fine. FYI my guy knew enough to ask for the skirts and used them to ensure the correct fit curve of the panel.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

The quarter panel and rocker panel are of course separate. The seam where they meet is at the lower rear corner of the door jamb. Wixom used lead to fill the seam.
maw

Post by maw »

Thanks for the info, I was kinda thinkin that the gap was probably leaded so that I couldn't see it. I'm sure it should be a little more clear once I remove the paint.