1966 Trunk Hinge Replacment HELP

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

SIXTY SIX BIRD

1966 Trunk Hinge Replacment HELP

Post by SIXTY SIX BIRD »

Hi. I messed up my trunk lid because lack of proper lubrication and one of the hinges has pinched in and I cannot close the trunk and it will not stay open by itself and it is off-kilter. Please see the images.

Has anybody replaced a hinge and if so can yoou please offer some advice? I believe I'm going to get a new hinge and tackle it myself.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
20220625_225624.jpg
4.JPG
3.JPG
ICON 1956

Re: 1966 Trunk Hinge Replacment HELP

Post by ICON 1956 »

This can be a headache, I would suggest have a body shop do the job. Your risking chipping the paint. and bending the hinges or mounting brackets.....if you have no experience. BTW if you do decide to do this task you will need another person or may be two besides yourself. Don't ask me how I know. been there done it on my 61....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

As the beat goes on, my carb. had a constant port vacuum, it was repaired, while waiting for the carb. to get back, the trunk lid was next, it has been binding, taking the assembly out where the torsion bars hook in and go through the holes were elongated a spot weld is all that is needed to close them, in turn, stopping the binding. Jamieson's Repair Shop, posted a video on the fix,
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

The torsion bars for the trunk had eaten into the hinges, so much so, it actually looked like it was a part of the hinge, causing the lid to bind when closing, the fix posted by Jamieson's Repair Shop, worked on my hinges, no more binding of the trunk lid when closing! :grab:
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

These are the hinges and torsion bars from my 66, after the welding of the hinges where the torsion bars wore into, it was a difficult fix for us, not so much welding, then the placement of the bars. As I go along, I been painting with OEM paints for the most part, where it cannot be seen like the inside of the fenders any other places, I use what I have on hand they will help with rust protection. The hinges in the picture are painted with the OEM color, "Vintage Burgundy" then clear coated.
Attachments
trunk hinges66bird2.jpg