exterior window scrapers

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sleeper bird

exterior window scrapers

Post by sleeper bird »

on the landau not sure if they are called beltline seals or exterior window scrapers.the exterior door window seals mine have gotten hard and the power windows are having a hard time over coming the friction plus one side is missing a section.My main question is i cant remember how i changed these things several years ago does the window need to be removed?it seems that i remember them being a real pain to change but its been so long ago.
RAVEN

Re: exterior window scrapers

Post by RAVEN »

If the exterior window seals are original, they are retained by a very small philips flat head screw at the ends buried in the wiskers felt/fleece, and clips that snap into the door panel along the length of the seal. A very gentle pry with a puddy knife along the seal and you will locate them.
If replacement seals are installed, then chances are they were installed with "pop" rivets along the length.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

can this be done with the window in place?i replaced them once and how i did it escapes me.they were repops
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Yes with a little finesse and a few steps of disassembly. But this depends on how the existing window seals were mounted. How were "THEY" mounted?
A big problem is the inner door panel trim, and the window needing to be lowered. You would have to remove the inner panel, access the rubber stop block in the internal bottom of the door and remove it, and manually lower the window in small incraments, till the glass is clear for you to drill the POP rivets, if so mounted.
Not knowing how the old units are mounted, leads to a live and learn process.
1964 Red Convertible
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

thank you sir as always.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

If you are to order new ones be careful a lot of replacements do not have an OEM metal strip running along the top.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

In the past, I made my own from raw stock from a vender at Carlisle. The seal came with the scraper rubber seal and stainless bead, in a 8 foot length. I simply cut to my needed length, attached the felt/wicking velcro strip, sealed the open ends with a pin nail, in the SS bead and attached to the car door with VERY small flat head screws. (about a #2 x half inch long.) Just made sure the screw heads pulled into the seal material and did not touch the window glass.
In restoring the car and parts are unavailable one must make what one needs. This is the fun of a build.
I even made the dog leg rear window seal also.

Sorry to say, I do not know the seal suppliers name at Carlisle, or I would tell you. Its been a couple of years since I needed the seal, but would think a little detective work would find them. They were a multi item vendor, with other seals/felts/wiskers/wicking/screws/bolts/clips.

Good luck
R
1964 Red Convertible