"Factory 4 speed"

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

Joe Johnston

"Factory 4 speed"

Post by Joe Johnston »

As a caution to members here, I want to tell everyone that as we explore the internet, PLEASE BE CAREFUL! I follow several forums and FB pages and recently came across a 56 with what the owner claims to have a "Factory 4 Speed" transmission. I have no problem with a 4 speed being installed, as the Borg Warner T-10 was a common upgrade in the 60's and I will agree it is an improvement in drivability. That said, PLEASE be careful when considering a vehicle to purchase online. Please, ask questions here! Find a local VTCI club that will probably have a member to check out the vehicle in question for you if not local for you. DO NOT BELIEVE everything you read online, research, and if you know and accept what you are buying, all is good.

I once was at a car show, and a 56 owner went on and on telling me about how rare his 56 was as it had FACTORY INSTALLED Fairlane trim on the sides!
I didn't have the heart to disagree, and only said "Wow, it's a rare car"!

Buyer, PLEASE beware!!

J
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Rusty57

Re: "Factory 4 speed"

Post by Rusty57 »

Thanks for the reminder about “buyer beware” with these classic cars. I have more than enough “war stories” about crazy claims for a wide range of vehicles. Auctions seem to be the most prolific source.

I agree with your approach about how to respond. Unless it is a vehicle that I am considering I make a similar benign qstatement and let the owner continue to believe their myth.
Rusty
VTCI 13079