1965 Thunderbird Turn Signal Replacement Parts

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Kartman01

1965 Thunderbird Turn Signal Replacement Parts

Post by Kartman01 »

Hi, I have a 1965 Thunderbird convertible that is highly original and I and am hopeful someone can assist me with a question on rear trail lights/turn signals. On my car, the RH turn signal/tail light works intermittently... there seems to be no pattern to it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Can anyone point me to a source or service who can rebuild/restore the tail light/turn signal mechanism for these cars? I understand there are now solid state solutions available, but I would like to keep the car in as close to original condition as I can.

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... w&id=13052
Attachments
XJVN2738.JPG
66bird428

Re: 1965 Thunderbird Turn Signal Replacement Parts

Post by 66bird428 »

I installed this in my trunk. It’s a plug in replacement, and my rear lights now work great.
Attachments
IMG_1229.png
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

If it's only one side not working it's unlikely to be the brake light relay which would affect both sides. You certainly wouldn't need to spend $90 on one - any automotive relay costing under $10 will work. The 66 relay is different to the 65 triangular shaped one but could be modified to fit. It wouldn't be original so why not get a generic one.
I doubt your problem is the motor as that would affect both sides also. If you have checked all the connections on the non working side I would suggest the problem is the turn signal relay (the one on the right in the package)'
I have never tried to repair one but it looks as if it will come apart easily enough to investigate the internals.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
66bird428

Post by 66bird428 »

Dave,
I’m going to really need your help here….
I remember now…. 4 years ago I was having random phantom electrical issues. Replaced the convertible top relay with john draxler’s new relay system. Chased switches, wiring, window motors, and it turned out the problem was with an aftermarket stereo previous owner had installed and jumped off the circuit breaker box which created a loose connection. In the process the turn signal relay in the trunk was a birds nest of wires. I consulted with a buddy who’s an electrician, and he advised me to clean everything up. This was early in my ownership.
He had me buy the below turn signal relax, it was an easy install to replace the mess.
I don’t remember the status of my turn signals prior.
The rear lights/turn signals currently work great.
My front fender turn signals do such……
Left turns on, makes a click sound, cycles on/off 1-2 times, then stays on. Right with no click, turns on and stays on.
The unusual thing is the turn signal lights still rotate high bright to low bright, as if they are trying to work.
Not sure if this relay in the trunk is the culprit, or just a waste of money that looks clean.
Appreciate any help!
Jeremy
Attachments
IMG_1248.jpeg
IMG_1247.jpeg
David Langhorne

It looks like your Cougars package is a complete replacement solid state plug-in to get rid off all 3 components - motor, brake light relay and turn signal relay.
You may be confused by the label which says for 4 wire brake light relay - this refers to what your car would have had to connect up to by way of wiring. I would say whoever installed it must have altered the original brake light relay harness to connect it up so I wouldn't worry about it now. Cougars have a good reputation although I'm completely ignorant as regards electronics.

You now say the lights are working OK? Which ones do not? - is it just the fender top ones? If so the problem is in the relay above the steering column which causes the fender lights to flash yellow when all 4 lights on one side are lit. It is adjustable by increasing or decreasing the points gap by careful bending of the arm. It's awkward to get to (like everything else on these cars)
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
66bird428

Post by 66bird428 »

Thank you so much!
You are correct, the fender lights stay on when activated, only blink bright to medium bright when active, and the left will click twice before staying on.
Please see photo below, is this the relay above the steering column?
Should I try to remove it completely, or is there a way to adjust it without struggling to remove and then install?
Attachments
IMG_1251.jpeg
David Langhorne

Yes that's it - I said it was awkward to get to but you'll have to unscrew it from the support and remove the cover by prying the tabs back.
You can let it hang from the wires while you adjust it. If I remember correct there are 4 screws but I think I only used 2 when I put it back.
It was about 10-15 years back. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the central column until the points open and
close correctly. These fender flashers are sensitive also to the voltage being put out so they are more likely to work properly when you rev the engine. Some people wire them directly to the indicators either side - they work OK like that but won't stay on to warn you if a bulb is out which I think is a useful feature when you have so many. Best of luck.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Gillerd

Post by Gillerd »

66bird428 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:44 pm I installed this in my trunk. It’s a plug in replacement, and my rear lights now work great.
That looks good. We'll look into that when we start working on the Tbird next week. Got to finish installing the rotors and centerline wheels on the truck to make some space in the garage. The rear passenger signal on the Tbird isn't working.
66bird428

Post by 66bird428 »

Did it!
New turn signal relay works perfectly!
Honestly, I could not remove both screws to remove the old one. Insanely difficult.
So I removed the center screw holding the turn signal and seat relay, pushed the old turn signal relay upward, then used the center screw only to screw in both a new turn signal relay and the seat relay. Works great.
David Langhorne

Good news - where did you get a new turn signal relay? These things are rare as hen's teeth.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Kartman01

Post by Kartman01 »

66bird428 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:44 pm I installed this in my trunk. It’s a plug in replacement, and my rear lights now work great.

Thank you 66bird428, I appreciate the help and will check out this solution. Thank you!
Kartman01

Post by Kartman01 »

David Langhorne wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:48 pm If it's only one side not working it's unlikely to be the brake light relay which would affect both sides. You certainly wouldn't need to spend $90 on one - any automotive relay costing under $10 will work. The 66 relay is different to the 65 triangular shaped one but could be modified to fit. It wouldn't be original so why not get a generic one.
I doubt your problem is the motor as that would affect both sides also. If you have checked all the connections on the non working side I would suggest the problem is the turn signal relay (the one on the right in the package)'
I have never tried to repair one but it looks as if it will come apart easily enough to investigate the internals.

Thank you David, I have some ‘shop time’ planned tomorrow and will do some troubleshooting. I appreciate your help!
66bird428

Post by 66bird428 »

David Langhorne wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:39 pm Good news - where did you get a new turn signal relay? These things are rare as hen's teeth.
I’ll be honest. I used to be a purist, but then I didn’t enjoy the car as much. I got the turn signal relay as a new replacement, cougarsunlimited.net
I used their sequential system in the trunk and their turn signal relay. I spent over an hour and felt nauseous for three hours under the dash trying to unscrew the original turn signal relay. Please ask Henry ford what he was thinking!! Can’t see the relay visually from the car. So, for $120 (whatever…) my fender turn signals work great and makes the clicking noise, likely for the first time in 30 years! All that matters is enjoying the ride! See my other post regarding the frustration trying to get the rear quarter window working….