1966 color productions

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

abaucom

1966 color productions

Post by abaucom »

Searching for a source link to find out production figure for my optioned 1966 T-Bird conv. I have the original invoice, build sheet, and window sticker. I know the factory order went through Chicago, and my Bird delivered to Dallas. How my convertible was ordered was a little unique so that is why I am trying to get production figures on my optioned 1966 convertible.
First, it is factory yellow and not many yellow convertibles found now. Second, ordered with a black vinyl / fabric interior that I found strange for a convertible. Ordered with just about every option except fender shield's (skirts). The car going to Dallas not surprising a convertible ordered with A/C, but found the black vinyl /fabric interior practical, but odd. Had never heard of another 60s T-bird conv. with fabric seats.
That is why I would like to know if there were other 1966 Birds made same as mine. Only just curious. My Bird was restored (more or less) 20+ years ago with a repaint in original yellow color, but interior seating replaced in all black vinyl.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1966 color productions

Post by Alan H. Tast »

abaucom wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:11 pm Searching for a source link to find out production figure for my optioned 1966 T-Bird conv. I have the original invoice, build sheet, and window sticker. I know the factory order went through Chicago, and my Bird delivered to Dallas. How my convertible was ordered was a little unique so that is why I am trying to get production figures on my optioned 1966 convertible.
First, it is factory yellow and not many yellow convertibles found now. Second, ordered with a black vinyl / fabric interior that I found strange for a convertible. Ordered with just about every option except fender shield's (skirts). The car going to Dallas not surprising a convertible ordered with A/C, but found the black vinyl /fabric interior practical, but odd. Had never heard of another 60s T-bird conv. with fabric seats.
That is why I would like to know if there were other 1966 Birds made same as mine. Only just curious. My Bird was restored (more or less) 20+ years ago with a repaint in original yellow color, but interior seating replaced in all black vinyl.
Ford didn't keep those records, and if they did I have no idea where they are. Short of going through and cataloging all 79,196+ invoices that Lois Eminger saved (and are now being sold through Marti Auto Works), the best we can do is compile information from VTCI Owners Surveys, registries, etc. and develop a snapshot based on a percentage of production. I have compiled this kind of data for over 4 decades, but it's been quite a while since I've updated a Color Usage Survey for '58-'66 'Birds. We used to have results of these on the VTCI's website, but the website administrator of late has been 'cleaning house' and pulled all the production and color data off it - I have no idea if or when this will be returned on-line. It will take me some time to go back through the 2000+ listings I have to see how many convertibles come up with cloth-vinyl trim.

Feel free to pm me separately with your car's specific info (VIN, data plate info, options installed) so that I can log it in and use its data as part of the research - having the invoice, build sheet and window sticker will also help me catalog dealers and other pertinent info.

There are instances in my database of convertibles with cloth-vinyl interiors all through '58-'66 production. It did happen. Perhaps the most-notable one I can think of off-hand is one of the convertibles used in the 1964 movie "Good Neighbor Sam" with Jack Lemmon and Mike "Mannix" Connors, where one of the cars used in the driving or stationary scenes clearly has cloth-vinyl upholstery.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster