led with tail lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sleeper bird

led with tail lights

Post by sleeper bird »

has anyone ever tried an led for the tail lights?
cacockrum

Re: led with tail lights

Post by cacockrum »

I bought a set for my '68 from Cougars Unlimited/Kim Paulson. They work perfectly.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

well i thought i would go out on a limb and try replacement leds,after reading a little Sylvania makes an led called zevo oreilly had them.Bought four(two in a pack)changed out three and they worked like normal(i do have the electronic sequential module on the car not the factory one)replaced the turn signals with red, and the three middle with the red light covers with white. The only downside i noticed was the leds do not face forward so there is a noticeable sort of dark spot in the middle compared to the 1157 stock bulb when the running lights are on, really no difference when using the turn signals. The zevo bulb is supposed to not give feedback to the lighting system like other regular led bulbs. I went down this wormhole trying to lighten the electrical load on the car being i am now running the sniper system and did notice that running with ac on and lights and rear brake lights it was hard for the alternator to keep up, I now do not see the voltage drop that i had when hitting the brakes. Another downside they are expensive being there are so many bulbs.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Years ago I bought a bunch of LED 1157 to play with. Most of them were far too dim to be safe, so you definitely want to look at the lumens when you buy.

What I found is the tower type covered with square emitters make the most light, they cost a bit more, but the dim ones don't make enough light during the daytime for people behind you to see the brake lights come on.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Dunk67

Post by Dunk67 »

I use these style 27 SMD LEDs for brake/tail lights on everything they'll fit.

Red for brake/tail: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183013317894
White for backup lights: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183013317883

Superbrightleds.com is also a good source for quality LEDs, they have a fitment guide and list lumens, light angle, etc. Super helpful for figuring out what base style and bulb will fit.

I cleaned up the reflector housing and painted it gloss white since the chrome/zinc/whatever reflective coating was failing and dark on one side probably from a leaky gasket. I also cleaned and lubricated the sequencer motor and mechanism at the same time, cleaned all connections, and replaced the factory relays with standard automotive sealed connector relays (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074FSZWVT). Light are very bright without being obnoxious or blinding, backups light you can actually see a bit with now. Overall a big safety improvement with the perk of less power draw and much longer bulb life. Turn signals are now very quiet even without a back seat in yet and no insulation wrap on the assembly.
20210719_184311.jpg
20210724_210659.jpg
20210724_210645.jpg
RandyBird

Post by RandyBird »

Dunk67, did the LED bulbs you use in turning signals work right out of the package, that is, without adding in-line resistors to make the blinking work?
1965 Special Edition that is becoming a long-term restoration project . . .