I just purchased a 1965 t-bird

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

dorothygarcia31

I just purchased a 1965 t-bird

Post by dorothygarcia31 »

I just purchased a 1965 t-bird. First ford I ever had but always loved the birds. I have a new power window motor but I have no clue how to place it in the door. The window is off the track also. Does anybody have a picture how this is supposed to go in.
Alan H. Tast

Re: I just purchased a 1965 t-bird

Post by Alan H. Tast »

:n00b:

Let's slow down a minute here. First question - do you have a copy of the factory Shop Manual? If not, GET ONE - NOW! Why do I say this with such emphasis? The T-birds of this generation are not overly complex, but you need to have an understanding of how things work and how they go together before you start tearing one apart. In fact, it would serve you well to get a basic service library started that not only includes the year-specific shop manual, but also the reprints of factory assembly manuals - both the Body-Trim-Sealer and Electrical Assembly Manuals, as they'll show you step-by-step how things went together, and in essence by reversing the steps tell you how to take things apart.

Along with getting your service publications gathered, take some time to learn how to use the VTCI Forum's 'Search' function and how to post photos in your messages. Again, why? You'll find that with over 20 years' worth of posts and topics that are archived, your question may have already been answered, and if you're lucky there may also be some photos associated with the posts you find. For instance, I typed the words '1965 power window motor' in the 'Search' box in the upper right corner of this page and found these posts - some go back to 2013 and several ask the same question you have:

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... ndow+motor

If you read through the various posts you'll find a lot of good advice on how to go about replacing the motor, but just be aware that the regulator assembly is spring-loaded, and that if you make the wrong move it could act like a guillotine. Plus you may want to check on the condition of the regulator's gear drive as the gear may have failed and also need to be replaced. Again, type in the Search box the words 'power window gear' and see what comes up:

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... ar#p105059

Being able to post photos with your questions here will help show what you're up against and, in turn, may solicit responses from Forum participants who've 'been there-done that. ' Between the old posts that you'll find by searching the Forum and others chiming in to help out, If you're not one already, I hope you'll find the value of helping sustain this Forum by becoming a member of VTCI - membership info can be found on the Club's Home page https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net

Let us know how you fixed the problem and post some photos of your new ride - we love to see pictures. Good luck.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Gillerd

Re: I just purchased a 1965 t-bird

Post by Gillerd »

Howdy, Dorothy! How's your project now?