Emergency Brake not locking

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Richard

Emergency Brake not locking

Post by Richard »

Went to set Emergency Brake before using floor jack to crawl under my 65 Hardtop. When pressing down it did not lock in place. The Emergency Brake works as far as when driving it works to slow down or stop car. I do like the unique way it normally releases when putting in gear. I am aware that it works off vacuum from neutral safety switch. Anyone have any ideas?
Funny when bought the car 11 years ago checking car out set brake and me or PO did not know how to release brake, had to go to the original owners manual. PO had car for only 2 years and didnt know a lot .
Just an observation. They way our emergency brakes works is actually pretty good. I lost my brakes once and because does not lock in place when in gear we are able to use it as a brake. Saved my butt when lost brakes and luckily had the sense to use it to slow and stop.
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
Sierra John

Re: Emergency Brake not locking

Post by Sierra John »

I had the same problem. I removed the emergency brake and found that the return spring was broken. I replaced the spring but still had the problem. Turns out, an insect of some sort had died in the hose between the neutral safety switch and the emergency brake vacuum canister. The body of the thing was hard as cement. I couldn’t blow it out. I had to dig it out. Anyway, the insect was acting as a plug inside a plastic connector I’d installed in the hose and keeping vacuum applied to the brake, so the pedal wouldn’t lock in place. You might want to remove the hose from the vacuum canister on the brake and see if that helps. Just check all the hoses to make sure they’re clear.

Good luck.
1966 Town Hardtop
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sierra John wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:16 pm I had the same problem. I removed the emergency brake and found that the return spring was broken. I replaced the spring but still had the problem. Turns out, an insect of some sort had died in the hose between the neutral safety switch and the emergency brake vacuum canister. The body of the thing was hard as cement. I couldn’t blow it out. I had to dig it out. Anyway, the insect was acting as a plug inside a plastic connector I’d installed in the hose and keeping vacuum applied to the brake, so the pedal wouldn’t lock in place. You might want to remove the hose from the vacuum canister on the brake and see if that helps. Just check all the hoses to make sure they’re clear.

Good luck.
Will give that a try..Thank you
VTCI#12157
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sierra John wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:16 pm I had the same problem. I removed the emergency brake and found that the return spring was broken. I replaced the spring but still had the problem. Turns out, an insect of some sort had died in the hose between the neutral safety switch and the emergency brake vacuum canister. The body of the thing was hard as cement. I couldn’t blow it out. I had to dig it out. Anyway, the insect was acting as a plug inside a plastic connector I’d installed in the hose and keeping vacuum applied to the brake, so the pedal wouldn’t lock in place. You might want to remove the hose from the vacuum canister on the brake and see if that helps. Just check all the hoses to make sure they’re clear.

Good luck.
OK found the problem. The manual release is not returning. When I pull back on release it works as should. Is that the spring you replaced? If so how hard was it it to do? I should have sprayed a little silicone and maybe that will help. Next time I take her out will do that..Thanks
VTCI#12157
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

The link below is a video about the return spring (he recommends using two springs). The hard part was accessing the assembly. I removed the front seat and the lower half of the fresh-air duct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOumdSSO44w
1966 Town Hardtop
Richard

Post by Richard »

Very informative. I have taken seat out to get under dash before. Was under there today with seat in and its no fun. Also I did see how the fresh air duct is in the way. Thanks again..
VTCI#12157
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sierra John wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:11 pm The link below is a video about the return spring (he recommends using two springs). The hard part was accessing the assembly. I removed the front seat and the lower half of the fresh-air duct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOumdSSO44w
How hard to remove the fresh air duct? Wonder if I can replace spring with assembly still in with air duct removed? Thanks again..
VTCI#12157
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

Richard, you don't need to remove the fresh air duct just the lower plastic bit that Sierra John mentions. The mechanism is held by 3 bolts of which I think you can see 2 and feel for the other. Once removed the mechanism can be rotated to remove it. The cable can be left connected. I did mine years ago to replace the vacuum can (without removing seat!)
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Richard

Post by Richard »

David Langhorne wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:09 pm Richard, you don't need to remove the fresh air duct just the lower plastic bit that Sierra John mentions. The mechanism is held by 3 bolts of which I think you can see 2 and feel for the other. Once removed the mechanism can be rotated to remove it. The cable can be left connected. I did mine years ago to replace the vacuum can (without removing seat!)
What holds the lower plastic bit in place? Was under there with seat in and a little tight but doable. Thanks for your help...
VTCI#12157
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

There are 3 self tappers but the snag is you can't access all the heads - I used a vice grip to undo them from the inside where they protrude through
the plastic.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Richard

Post by Richard »

David Langhorne wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:54 am There are 3 self tappers but the snag is you can't access all the heads - I used a vice grip to undo them from the inside where they protrude through
the plastic.
Will get under there in the next week or so and report back..Thanks again
VTCI#12157