Brake switch

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

hiampen

Brake switch

Post by hiampen »

56 Thunderbird. Is there a brake switch that takes less pressure than the standard switch to operate brake lites? I have to apply the brakes fairly hard to get the lites to operate. would like them to operate with the slightest of pressure. I have replaced the hydraulic switch and only seen one available.
Jimntempe

Re: Brake switch

Post by Jimntempe »

hiampen wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:00 am 56 Thunderbird. Is there a brake switch that takes less pressure than the standard switch to operate brake lites? I have to apply the brakes fairly hard to get the lites to operate. would like them to operate with the slightest of pressure. I have replaced the hydraulic switch and only seen one available.
I've never seen such a switch. Another solution is to get a mechanical brake switch. They can be adjusted to come on with the slightest touch of the pedal.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/switch- ... 017/220637
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I have the standard hydraulic switch and it works great. One thing to remember is you have to prime it first. You need to get brake fluid into the hole in the base before installing. Air compresses more than the fluid and then takes more pressure to activate.
VTCI # 13223
hiampen

Post by hiampen »

Can I just bleed the brakes at the switch instead of '' priming'' the switch?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I agree with Jim. If you’re going to drive your bird install the mechanical switch. I’ve put them in two birds and never thought about it again. These were from Casco.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I finally adapted a universal mechanical brake light switch to my older '37 classic car after 2 years of trying to find a better hydraulic switch. I bought a couple of different what were supposed to be "low pressure" switches and bled them where they mounted. None of them made the brake lights come on soon enough to feel safe in traffic.

After the first time I watched my wife drive away in our '57 I immediately ordered and installed the CASCO mechanical switch. It was obvious that I would be fighting the same problem if I continued to use only the hydraulic switch.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

hiampen wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:05 pm Can I just bleed the brakes at the switch instead of '' priming'' the switch?
No, that will not get the air out of the hollow in the switch. Just a drop of fluid in the hole and poke it with a tooth pick to get the air out before installing. I have never had an issue since. The lights come right on. Don't worry about fluid running out when you pull the switch to do this.
VTCI # 13223
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

MarkR wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:27 pm I agree with Jim. If you’re going to drive your bird install the mechanical switch. I’ve put them in two birds and never thought about it again. These were from Casco.
Especially, those that convert to silicon fluid have trouble with the OEM switch.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

i didn't like the way the hydraulic switch worked (too much pressure) so I installed the CASCO mechanical switch. If properly set up, just a touch of the pedal activates the brake lights.

I liked it so much that I fabricated the same type of switch for my other car, a 54 Ford. Now I don't have to worry about some one not seeing I'm braking. Highly recommend the switch change.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

paul2748 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 pm i didn't like the way the hydraulic switch worked (too much pressure) so I installed the CASCO mechanical switch. If properly set up, just a touch of the pedal activates the brake lights.

I liked it so much that I fabricated the same type of switch for my other car, a 54 Ford. Now I don't have to worry about some one not seeing I'm braking. Highly recommend the switch change.
OId school works for me and has worked just as originally designed. I have absolutely no issue with installing a mechanical switch but the knowledge of hydraulics and air in the system seems to be lost to history unless you understand how important it is in heavy equipment that depends on it along with braking systems.
VTCI # 13223
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

Harley Davidsons use a hydraulic brake light switch that the street rod guys use. Works good according to them.
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

I just changed mine today to a mechanical switch, made my own brackets and bought a universal stop light switch. Plugged into the existing pressure switch wires extended the length and ran them through the main rubber grommet inside the passenger compartment. works great instant brake lights. Already had the metal for the brackets and wire so cost me $15 for the switch.
mojerry

Post by mojerry »

Google low pressure brake switch. They are available. I have one on my hotrod. It works fine.
It doesn't take much gunk in the system, to make it malfunction.
The mechanical switch, is probably the best way to go.

Jerry
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

There's a reason Ford went to a mechanical switch in the 60's. Maybe cost cutting, but also a lot safer as it actuates the brake lights faster and is generally more dependable.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

That may be true, but if you have any knowledge of hydraulics and air in the system just getting the air out of the hollow of the switch they work fine. Mechanical switches are fine and more predictable and adjustable but if done right old school works as designed. Don't get me going on points VS electronic ignitions. LOL
VTCI # 13223