Constant voltage regulator?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Steverino

Constant voltage regulator?

Post by Steverino »

I had my Bird at my mechanic today to have the A/C recharged. That went fine and now when I cruise I can be cool while I look cool :mrgreen:

However, when I picked the car up I noticed that the fuel and temp gauges stayed at rock bottom, but I know they worked when I dropped it off. I am thinking it is probably coincidence as I can't figure out how the A/C recharge process would impact both of them. I know my temp gauge sending wire is on it's last leg under the hood - the insulation has gotten old and brittle, but it is still connected.

After a bit of research I figured maybe I should check the voltage regulator, which I understood to be behind the clock. When I pulled the clock, I instead found (pictured below) a small shrink-wrapped black plastic square with two wires - which are plugged into two black/green wires from the factory loom. I am guessing it is maybe a tiny solid state version of a regulator? With the ignition on, one wire has 12v and the other has .001v. Maybe it has gone south? I didn't install it, so have no idea.

I was going to test power at the gauges themselves, but looks like I have to pull things apart to get to it so thought I'd ask for input here first.
IMG_5645.jpeg
IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg
Incidentally and probably unrelated, while testing electrical things I noticed that my front parking lights only come on in the "parking" position and not when the headlights are on. Is that correct?
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
Steverino

Re: Constant voltage regulator?

Post by Steverino »

Just as a follow up - does anybody know how many amps the gauges draw? I found an inexpensive 12v - 5v converter that puts out 3A:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384892160106?h ... R7TP566wYg

Don't know if that would work but it's a lot more economical than the electronic ones sold by the T-Bird houses...
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
62roadster

Post by 62roadster »

If you're not worried about originality don't spend the extra money to get the factory installed style constant voltage regulator, I put that same eBay 12 to 5 volt converter in my 62 over a year ago and I've had no issues at all with the gauges or fuses etc,,,
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Hey, thanks for responding - that's great to know!

On something like this that's completely hidden from view originality isn't a big concern for me. I'm not looking to keep mine concours-correct from every angle, though everything I've done is completely reversible.
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

There is a post on this somewhere, but if you do want to keep originality you can open up one of the original metal CVR cases and add a semiconductor step down like this. I did this and soldered it to the original terminals. The case acts as a heat sink. I have running this type of setup about 8 years without failure.

BOJACK IC L7805CV Voltage Regulator Output 5 V 1.5 A Integrated Circuits L7805 Linear Positive Voltage Regulators TO-220(Pack of 25 pcs) https://a.co/d/43mh3tR
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

That's an interesting option. Based on the product pictures on Amazon, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what my car had previously (see my pics above). Just a little black plastic cube with a metal mounting tab. I already ordered the other unit I had linked, but I'm going to keep this in mind too, just in case my new selection doesn't work well or dies young... Thanks!
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Robert E. Jackman

Post by Robert E. Jackman »

The parking lights are correct on your car. The parking lights staying on with the headlights was something that happened around 1968 I believe.

Bob Jackman
VTCI member # 4942
63 SR
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Robert E. Jackman wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:35 pm The parking lights are correct on your car. The parking lights staying on with the headlights was something that happened around 1968 I believe.

Bob Jackman
VTCI member # 4942
63 SR
Thanks Bob! Sorry for the late reply - I was on vacation and didn't have connection. That's interesting - I've been involved with this car from a very young age and I guess I just never noticed that the lights worked this way.
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Just one more update - I did get the converter / regulator (that I linked above) installed last weekend and my gauges are back online. That is to say the temp gauge works great, and the fuel is back to reading 3/4 when the tank is full... :roll: (I'm so tired of these stupid senders...)

Thanks again everyone!
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678