Speedometer Numbers

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Sierra John

Speedometer Numbers

Post by Sierra John »

I'm going to re-silver the numbers on my speedometer (soon as Amazon delivers my silver paint pen). Before I do that, I want to clean up the numbers--specifically, the green area in the middle where the light is supposed to shine through. A few of my numbers have paint covering the green plastic centers. Does anyone have a recommendation for cleaning old paint from plastic? I tried alcohol (no good). I thought about using a pick of some kind, but it would probably scratch the plastic. Any good ideas?
1966 Town Hardtop
mark1965tbird

Re: Speedometer Numbers

Post by mark1965tbird »

I tried different silver pens for the number outlines- I had the best results with a silver sharpie.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

A cotton buff wheel in a Dremel moto-tool with some polishing compound? Could at least do that after picking out the paint from the recesses if the polishing compound won't take off the old paint in the voids. Would have to be careful about heat build-up but may get most of the 'crud' out.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

That sounds like an idea worth trying. Thanks, Alan.
1966 Town Hardtop
vince

Post by vince »

Have not tried this but if you have in your house already a product like "GooGone" or "Spot Shot" you could try this using a cotton swab or thin brush. These are some what mild cleaners/removers and not promising to remove paint but what you have may be old and brittle enough to respond. Good luck.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I used ordinary gel type paint remover from the hardware store that rinses off with water. Carefully put it on with a small (hobby type) brush, let it work, blot off then clean up with water. The type I used, won't attack plastics.

Hope this helps
Terryw
64HT
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Thanks for all the tips--appreciate it. I was considering paint remover as a last resort. Haven't tried GooGone, but I've heard good things about it. The Dremel tip worked pretty well. I got rid of maybe 90% of the old paint. For the first time, the dash lights are shinning through the numbers.
1966 Town Hardtop
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Obviously a previous owner already painted those numeral surrounds silver and got sloppy with the paint. Your car did not come new that way.
Sounds like you've already made significant progress cleaning that paint off the green plastic lens. Way to go!