Help me answer these questions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

DaleRyan

Help me answer these questions

Post by DaleRyan »

Hello, everyone. I need to replace the steering column seal as well as the firewall grommet. Could you please explain me how to do this job because mine is in such horrible shape that rain can get in through the firewall? Can I easily remove the column from the inside? Do you have any photos? What exactly is the procedure? Thank you for your feedback.
55Greg&Amy

Re: Help me answer these questions

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

It’s actually quite easy to remove the steering column.
Under the hood: loosen the clamp around the steering tube at the steering gear. Unplug the horn wire from the other side of the steering gear and tie a thin string or fishing line around the end that goes toward the firewall. This will help pull the horn wire back through later.
Under the dash: unplug all the wires that come out of the column around where the brake pedal is mounted. It will be a stacked connector with 12-16 wires. You only need to unplug the ones from the column. Leave the others plugged in and label well or take very precise pictures.
Loosen the horseshoe collar and clamp under the leading edge of the dash.
The whole column should just pull out. It may take a little persuasion with a brass drift on the tube in the engine compartment and a helper pulling on the column in the driver compartment. Avoid pulling on the steering wheel.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
paul2748

Re: Help me answer these questions

Post by paul2748 »

The tough part of removing the column is the re-installation as the teeth are "keyed" so the column will only go one way. Get the wheels straight ahead so the steering wheel is centered so things line up when re-installing. If you have trouble getting the column down on the shaft, I found loosening up the steering box can help. The chrome end of the column must go all the way down to the main part of the steering box. Both the removal and re-install are two man jobs unless your lucky..
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302