Steering wheel and column is out of car.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

hutch3

Steering wheel and column is out of car.

Post by hutch3 »

I have taken the steering wheel and column out of the car in hopes of making the placement of the fire wall mat easier and neater. The chrome tube was removed easily but I can not get to the horn ring, remove it and get the steering wheel off. The manual mentions the Thunderbird has screws in from the back of the wheel that need to be removed first then the Steering wheel may be removed. How do I get to the screws that they claim are there, I think they are correct as I can not get the horn rim off either. Please tell me what I am missing, besides supper.
Hutch3
fijidad

Re: Steering wheel and column is out of car.

Post by fijidad »

hutch3 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:45 pm I have taken the steering wheel and column out of the car in hopes of making the placement of the fire wall mat easier and neater. The chrome tube was removed easily but I can not get to the horn ring, remove it and get the steering wheel off. The manual mentions the Thunderbird has screws in from the back of the wheel that need to be removed first then the Steering wheel may be removed. How do I get to the screws that they claim are there, I think they are correct as I can not get the horn rim off either. Please tell me what I am missing, besides supper.
Hutch3
Hutch3, I've attached images of the front and back of the steering wheel off my '56 TB.

There are two screw holes on the front of the wheel hub.

My recollection is that the horn ring must be depressed by pushing down the center and then turning counterclockwise...I think.

Might give that a try and see if the whole thing falls apart. :smile:
Attachments
'56 TB Steering Wheel front.jpg
'56 TB Steering wheel back.jpg
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

What year is the car. Different procedures for 55 vs 56/57

I wish people would think of noting the year of the Bird. While alike in many aspects, there are differences between the years which call for different procedures.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
hutch3

Post by hutch3 »

The car in question is a 1957 Bird, I am the third owner, 79,900 miles with a 3 speed with OD. Sorry I did no include to begin with. Hutch3
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Aren't 56 and 57 steering wheels and horn rings exactly the same?
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

hutch3 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:10 pm The car in question is a 1957 Bird, I am the third owner, 79,900 miles with a 3 speed with OD. Sorry I did no include to begin with. Hutch3
Assuming the battery is disconnected, Just press on the hub and turn counterclockwise. The ring will pop off letting you get to the hub nut.
VTCI # 13223
hutch3

Post by hutch3 »

The wheel is off(steering that is) and there are no screws on the back side of steering wheel as the shop manual for the 1957 Fairlane and T Bird suggested, The horn ring does turn CCW and comes off. Thanks for the help and maybe I need not read the repair manual. Hutch3
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

Look at the pictures below in this thread that shows the turquoise steering wheel. You see the large center hole the steering shaft would go thru. Right next to it at two threaded holes. To get the steering wheel off you take off the large nut (not shown in those photos) which is on the steering shaft in the center hole. Then you use a steering wheel puller which has two bolts which thread into the two threaded holes next to the large hole. It is recommended to use a proper puller designed for the Tbirds so you don't destroy the horn wire/button which comes up through the center of the steering shaft. The puller will pull the wheel off the shaft as you tighten the two bolts. The photos show the dimensions if you want to make your own puller, which is what I did rather than wait on shipping. You can buy the puller from CASCO and other vendors. The other photo shows the puller in place on an old wheel just as an example of how it is placed. The threaded holes do not go all the way thru the wheel and in my experience there is only about a half inch useable working length of the threads so you need to shim the puller such that you make use of the working length and don't bottom out the two bolts as you go. If the threads are all gunked up you may want to chase them with a tap. I used a couple washers and giant nuts as spacers for the two bolts. The longer the bolts you use, the more spacer you need, the shorter those two bolts the less, if any, spacer you might need to get the wheel to pop loose.

CLick on photos to see larger size.
puller steering wheel homemade 1957 tbird.jpg
puller plate on old steering wheel to show relationship.jpg
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Yes, they are the same in size and design but the center piece is different

quote=55blacktie post_id=133081 time=1686024156 user_id=8245]
Aren't 56 and 57 steering wheels and horn rings exactly the same?
[/quote]
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Steering wheel design and removal is different between the 55 and 56/57 as you have found out. I think that this is one of those instances where the 57 (and assume the 56) Shop Manual did not keep up with the changes. I have found this to be true in other instances, especially in the wiring of the temperature sending units used in 54/55. The manual used the old flathead wiring (two wires on the sender), not the new overhead wiring (one wire on the sender). More confusing is that the 54/55/56 senders had two connectors on it and only one was used. Had an argument with another person about this.
hutch3 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:13 pm The wheel is off(steering that is) and there are no screws on the back side of steering wheel as the shop manual for the 1957 Fairlane and T Bird suggested, The horn ring does turn CCW and comes off. Thanks for the help and maybe I need not read the repair manual. Hutch3
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

paul2748 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:16 pm Steering wheel design and removal is different between the 55 and 56/57 as you have found out. I think that this is one of those instances where the 57 (and assume the 56) Shop Manual did not keep up with the changes. I have found this to be true in other instances, especially in the wiring of the temperature sending units used in 54/55. The manual used the old flathead wiring (two wires on the sender), not the new overhead wiring (one wire on the sender). More confusing is that the 54/55/56 senders had two connectors on it and only one was used. Had an argument with another person about this.
hutch3 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:13 pm The wheel is off(steering that is) and there are no screws on the back side of steering wheel as the shop manual for the 1957 Fairlane and T Bird suggested, The horn ring does turn CCW and comes off. Thanks for the help and maybe I need not read the repair manual. Hutch3
Page 5-5 of the repair manual for the 57 ford/tbird shows how to remove the steering wheel and what's shown seems correct in all significant details.